Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
foxmoth wrote:GAFLYER wrote
No LAA types available for rent... the rentals tend to be the traditional Cessnas and Pipers. Some say the LAA are more fun than the Cessnas/Pipers!

Not sure what you were saying here but if you are saying LAA types are not available to rent they are now available to rent, not sure how many owners have taken advantage of this yet as it only came in last year but we have an aerobatic biplane on a permit at a pretty good price, lancashirebarnstormers.co.uk

Sorry I made a vague comment that came across as a generalisation. I meant if I look at the airfields within say 50 miles of home none are advertising an LAA type for hire dual or solo. Similarly for a web search for rentals not advertised on airfield/club websites.
Perhaps in this part of the country the owners (of LAA types) simply don't want to rent their aircraft out to flying schools/clubs/pilots.

Best wishes for you up north.... ( >200 miles away)
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I meant if I look at the airfields within say 50 miles of home none are advertising an LAA type for hire dual or solo.

It is early days since this was allowed, I suspect most owners did not buy with the idea of renting out since it was not an option, as things go forward then people will probably start to buy with this in mind.
jerry_atrick wrote:Reverse the rule that prevents the CAA returning to uncontrolled airspace the controlled airpace no longer required by some of the airports (either through fabrication or their forward projections...

Surely no airport applying for a Gatwick-sized chunk of airspace would...

Ah... But wait...

Rob P
ls8pilot, skydriller liked this
Students (and in fact anyone who choses to) can log hours on a certified database system which is accepted as the 'logbook'.

When CAA want to check it they can be supplied details.

Instructors/Examiners/flying clubs whatever can also view these logbooks and certify accuracy and add any required 'sign offs'

Electronic licences (held on a database) holding details of all ratings.

Can be linked to the logbook to show currency
ls8pilot liked this
By James Chan
Many roots of the issues lie at the foot of the existing political / legislative system.

Without legal changes, ANSPs and aerodrome owners/operators don't have the powers, nor the will, to honor a lot of the items on the wish list.
foxmoth wrote:GAFLYER wrote
No LAA types available for rent... the rentals tend to be the traditional Cessnas and Pipers. Some say the LAA are more fun than the Cessnas/Pipers!

Not sure what you were saying here but if you are saying LAA types are not available to rent they are now available to rent, not sure how many owners have taken advantage of this yet as it only came in last year but we have an aerobatic biplane on a permit at a pretty good price, lancashirebarnstormers.co.uk

As I understand it, it's not all LAA types which are available for hire/training as implied, only the ex-C of A types, such as Condor, most Jodels, Austers etc. I think you've got to give that time to permeate a bit
By Dave W
That's not generally correct, although it is a constraint for Introductory Flights it isn't for most other remunerated flying such as flight instruction and self-fly hire.

See ORS4 1271.
There's isn't just one change that I would like to see but over the years there has been lots and lots of small changes that individually haven't done much damage but overall when all added together form a real detractor to the industry.

Now I could go on about revalidation/renewal, LAPL hours, PCL, woefull FCL service, FNTP approvals, maintenance etc but I'll just talk about the PPL TK.

Once it was 3 exams then 4. Now it's nine. A while back these questions were rewritten yet these questions were widely regarded by industry as not being fit for purpose. They were also not EASA compliant.

So the number of questions was revised and the CAA announced with some fanfair how they have made the TK EASA compliant - yet the content is still not fit for purpose.

The knock on effect of this is the cost to the student has increased dramatically. Most schools charge cica 45 pounds per written exam and there are now 9 to pay for. The number of books required has also doubled adding yet more cost.

On top of this additional cost we also have the rediculus 6 sitting business with a sitting being a 10 day window or is it 7 days I would have to check. But either way it now presents an additional adminstrative workload. And did I mention that the CAA now require an annual audit of all written exams that are sat. Both passed and failed.

Yet has any of this made the PPL TK any better.? No! .It's more expensive, largely irrelevant and comes with a greater administrative burden.

Now if you read the EASA requlation it would appear that one exam covering all 9 subjects would be EASA compliant.

Straight away this would mean less cost to the student in exam fees and I also suspect a streamlining of the number of books required. It would also make adminstration of this 6 sittings business a lot easier and finally the annual CAA audit a would be easier to.

Now do I think anything will change?

Sadly not and that's after we have had the red tape challenge and now we have a GA unit.

Now that's just one point. I haven't even got onto my NPPL(SLMG) to PPL(TMG) conversion that took 4 months to precess.
jerry_atrick, T67M liked this