Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The title says it all, really. The CAA states:

- 12 hours of flight time in single-engine (single-pilot) aeroplane within the 12 months preceding the rating’s expiry date, including the following:
6 hours as pilot-in-command (PIC)
12 take-offs and landings
- a training flight of at least 1 hour (or a maximum of three totalling 1 hour) with the same flight instructor or class rating instructor. If you have already completed a proficiency check or skill test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight

It doesn't say it has to have been with an EASA instructor, specifically.

Can I get my 2-yearly revalidation signed off based on a flight with an FAA instructor? It expires rather soon and I'm failing to find an instructor near Rotterdam who can fly with me on the 28th or 30th June, the only 2 days I have!
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Balliol wrote:No it needs to be an EASA Instructor

Yes.

I have actually had the CAA ask for a proof (copy of licence) regarding a foreign EASA instructor who signed off on an hours instruction in the past. Admittedly this was in the crossover days of JAR/EASA, when additionally, a foreign JAA Examiner could sign your papers (who's details I did photocopy and send with the paperwork), which isnt the case now, it must be a CAA licensed EASA examiner for a CAA issued EASA PPL.

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:
Balliol wrote:No it needs to be an EASA Instructor

Yes.

I have actually had the CAA ask for a proof (copy of licence) regarding a foreign EASA instructor who signed off on an hours instruction in the past. Admittedly this was in the crossover days of JAR/EASA, when additionally, a foreign JAA Examiner could sign your papers (who's details I did photocopy and send with the paperwork), which isnt the case now, it must be a CAA licensed EASA examiner for a CAA issued EASA PPL.

Regards, SD..

Hang on, so it has to be a UK CAA licensed examiner to sign off? So a Dutch examiner could not sign off my EASA PPL that was originally issued by the UK CAA?

If I'm reading that correctly, my contempt for the worthless layabouts at the CAA has notched up another level...

I assume I could still do the hours flying with an EASA instructor licenced by another country?

Does it matter if the examiner sign-off is carried out after the expiry of the class rating, assuming all the requirements were met before the expiry?
Katamarino wrote:If I'm reading that correctly, my contempt for the worthless layabouts at the CAA has notched up another level...

One Europe...

I think the finger should be pointed at EASA, not our CAA though. The CAA are just following orders.

Katamarino wrote:Does it matter if the examiner sign-off is carried out after the expiry of the class rating, assuming all the requirements were met before the expiry?

It matters greatly. If you don't get your signature in on time, you have to follow a course of re-training, get a course completion certificate and then do a test.

Bonkers? Yes. EASA, innit.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any EASA FI or CRI can do the hour instructional

The licensing action has to be done by a UK FE or FCL945 holding instructor - this is not UK CAA gold plating, common to all EASA states and some don't even let their own FEs do the licensing sign up.

You need to have the rating signed up by expiry date.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Katamarino wrote:Hang on, so it has to be a UK CAA licensed examiner to sign off? So a Dutch examiner could not sign off my EASA PPL that was originally issued by the UK CAA?
I assume I could still do the hours flying with an EASA instructor licenced by another country?

Correct and Correct again - if it is an EASA instructor. This was a backwards step wrt Euro-integration when EASA was brought in after JAR.

Regards, SD..