Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AFSAG
I’ve renewed with Visicover again this year.
I’ve nearly doubled the cover value and have doubled the number of engines, by changing from the lance to a baron
Premium has increased by <£1k which I think is very reasonable

If only Visicover sold fuel.....
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With Hatz’s tendency to ever so slightly exaggerate, I don’t believe it’s doubled.

Are you sure you haven’t told them that you’re landing on a 45 degree slope every time you fly? :D
By hatzflyer
ERR I can bloody count ...last year £840 this year £1680 . When I went to school that was double.
Bobcro liked this
By TheFarmer
That’s exactly 200%.

Are you sure you haven’t clicked on ‘TWO YEARS’ or something?
By Bob Bevan
hatzflyer wrote:ERR I can bloody count ...last year £840 this year £1680 . When I went to school that was double.

Hi Hatzflyer,

We have certainly not doubled our rates so I would be more than happy to look into why your renewal has gone up for you. Unfortunately I am out of the office tomorrow but if you want to email or PM me I will get back to you by Friday.

Cheers

Bob
Rob P, Lockhaven, 2Donkeys liked this
By defcribed
Is it because he posted about not knowing that he needed a licence to fly? ;-)
By r_w_walker
My last quote from Visicover was higher than I expected until I checked the information I had supplied to the online system.
I had not updated the flying hours.
Put that right and the premium was much better.
By Trent772
Well,

Have a look at Flycovered.

Our first RV12 was only going to do limited hours prior to being sold and I enquired on their site. I have no affiliation but have been mighty impressed.

All web based, email response is quick, flexible cover etc etc.

I put the 12 on a base cover with nominated flying days. Yes, you have to either pre book (cancellable) or do it as you are warming the engine (non cancellable).

For low use owners, it is super cheap.

I pay £35 a month and each day is between £12 and £15 depending on how many I buy in a block.

That is standard blah blah blah on a hull value of 60k and std deductable of £1000.
Katie Grant liked this
By hatzflyer
r_w_walker wrote:My last quote from Visicover was higher than I expected until I checked the information I had supplied to the online system.
I had not updated the flying hours.
Put that right and the premium was much better.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and had done the same as you . I also dropped the value as I thought that might help but it's still up 50%
By Sooty25
Jodelman wrote:
gyrotyro wrote:Traffords.

Make sure you get a proper level of passenger liability cover.

Define proper, how on earth as a lowly numpty are we supposed to predict the level required?
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:
Jodelman wrote:

Define proper, how on earth as a lowly numpty are we supposed to predict the level required?

Well 180 people in the Airbus you take out at £3million each: shirley you can work it out....

Peter :wink:
flybymike liked this
By Bob Bevan
Sooty25 wrote:
Jodelman wrote:

Hi Sooty,

The fact Jodelman referred specifically to 'passenger liability' might relate to an issue around how the regulatory insurance minimums work.

As background, for most GA owners the key insurance requirements specified in the regs relate to their potential liabilities to 'Third Parties' (essentially people outside the aircraft) and Passengers, arising from the operation of the aircraft. There are different minimum requirements for these two types of risk, so for example, a 2 seater aircraft with an MTOW of 600KG which is not used for commercial purposes, might have a minimum requirement for Third Party Liability cover of approx £1.6 million but only require £110,000 cover per Passenger. This differential is perhaps a little perverse given that if an aircraft comes down, the risk of seriously injuring a passenger is somewhat greater than the risk of injuring a third party!

Some aircraft policies work on the basis of just meeting these 'split' minimums. The issue with these is that they provide a relatively low level of protection for the passenger, given the potential settlements that may arise from an injury or fatality. This not only increases the risk of the passenger not being compensated in the event that an award exceeds the cover limit, it also means the owner's assets are exposed as the owner would be expected to make good the difference.

One way to mitigate this is to ensure you your liability cover is on a 'Combined Single Limit' basis. In the above scenario you would simply arrange liability cover of approx £1.71 million, with this then being the maximum amount that the policy would pay out in total for a third party or passenger liability claim or a combination of the two. As you can see, it provides a far higher level of protection for the passenger, and hence also the wealth of owner. Indeed, because of this, we will only arrange cover on a Combined Single Limit basis and would suggest owners are aware what is the basis of cover under their policies.

Of course there is also the question of whether simply meeting the minimum requirement is enough. I have posted on this a few times before so will not bore you anymore on this subject.

I hope the above is of help but happy to deal with any queries either via the thread or PM / email.

Cheers

Bob
kanga, Jonzarno, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this