Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hand on heart I try to be fully legal but if I am honest I fly on a LAPL and I am probably not totally legal to this day.

Without trying to be difficult.

Are you unsure whether you have,

1: less than 12 hrs in the previous 2 years on the day of flight as P1

2: Less than 12 TO's & Ldg's in the previous 2yrs on the day flight as P1

3: Not have 1hr P/uT in the previous 2 yrs on the day of flight as P1.

If the answer is yes, then you may be illegal.

If No .........
What’s wrong with someone living in the back of beyond , nowhere near restricted airspace, dabbling in SSDR, no instructors within a couple of hundred miles, having a go without any form of “paperwork” and not hurting anyone ? Not me of course.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:I have an NPPL, so don't have to worry about the rolling validity of the LAPL at the moment.

Most LAPL were obtained on the back of an NPPL, so many pilots now hold both licences. It is almost impossible to be current on the NPPL without being current on the LAPL.
IMO, a lot of tosh is written about the difficulty of remaining legal under rolling validity.
Last edited by patowalker on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO, Kittyhawk liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:What’s wrong with someone living in the back of beyond , nowhere near restricted airspace, dabbling in SSDR, no instructors within a couple of hundred miles, having a go without any form of “paperwork” and not hurting anyone ? Not me of course.

All completely legit & legal, so long as you do the 12 hours + 12 take offs & landings to remain current. Can be done in any microlight or SSEA, you're just not allowed to carry passengers.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^^ see my earlier post. Nanolight totally unregulated.... I "could" buy an old hang-glider get the engine and prop from a powered-parachute backpack and add a very rudimentary lightweight trike...(Don't know the exact details of class requirements,re-weight/stall-speed/max. speed etc.)

no inspection, no airworthiness test/certification. no pilot training whatsoever, no licence or registration for (wo) man or machine.

Scarcity, cost and cowardice prevent me. :oops: :)
Miscellaneous wrote:@Bill McCarthy , nowt if you are PeteS, or RobP

Oi! I operate from a major hub with a vast runway stretching into the distance and at least three instructors clagging up the café

Rob P
By bilko2
I know people who have designed, built and flown human carrying flying machines (some quite complex) without reference to higher authority.

If the authorities make the rules stupidly complex to understand, and sometimes difficult to even find out what the rules are, they have to expect many people to either not obey them by mistake or just ignore them and do what they think is right.
patowalker wrote:
JAFO wrote:I have an NPPL, so don't have to worry about the rolling validity of the LAPL at the moment.

Most LAPL were obtained on the back of an NPPL, so many pilots now hold both licences. It is almost impossible to be current on the NPPL without being current on the LAPL.
IMO, a lot of tosh is written about the difficulty of remaining legal under rolling validity.

Concur.
low&slow wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:What’s wrong with someone living in the back of beyond , nowhere near restricted airspace, dabbling in SSDR, no instructors within a couple of hundred miles, having a go without any form of “paperwork” and not hurting anyone ? Not me of course.
...you're just not allowed to carry passengers.

Pretty sure the SS part of SSDR would take care of that.