Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By cmoreflyer
Hi i currently hold a NPPL(M) since august 18, i have been considering on adding the ssea rating to my licence to allow me to fly larger easa and annex type aircraft in the future.

With all the talk of raising the weight limits and stall speeds up to 600kg and 45knts which i believe may be called Microlight plus , i may have to undergo further training to be able to fly such aircraft.

If i hold a ssea rating would i be entitled to fly the heavier microlights without any further training?
Ive had a go in flexwings ,c42, ev97, skyranger classic, pipistrel and magni m24 gyro

What opinions to other members have that may of been involved in aviation a bit longer than myself have on this.
By Balliol
Unfortunately the only issue is that you wouldnt be able to convert to a LAPL with SEP privileges as your SSEA would be post Apr 18 as it stands at the minute - I do hope the conversion route reopens to facilitate microlight people moving up
By RichJordan
Where did you get the info about Microlight Plus? Although I've heard about the possible weight increase, I've not heard of that name before, I wonder if that means things have progressed.

I'm also a NPPL(M). I've got a 472.5kg CTSW currently and believe that all it would take to convert it to a 600kg machine is a new BRS parachute. Would be nice to be able to take a passenger AND a full tank of fuel.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I guess it all depends what they change in the ANO. If they ONLY changed the ANO definition of microlight, (to expand the aircraft it covered), then you couldn't fly such a new definition microlight on an SSEA rating, as the SSEA rating is defined as
a simple single engine aeroplane, being a single engine piston aeroplane with a maximum take-off weight authorised of not more than 2,000kg and which is not a microlight aeroplane or a SLMG;;
(my emphasis)
So you would need something like a microlight rating or microlight differences training on SEP rating or SEP privileges. But then whilst changing the definition of microlight anyway, they might decide to change more.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulSS
If I were the OP I would just sit on my hands and wait.

Things certainly sound hopeful for the opt-out and subsequent increase in MTOW and I do hope it happens for a number of reasons. However, it seems a bit pointless to me getting licences changed etc when nobody knows the details of changes should they occur. There have only been suggestions of a 'Microlight Plus' but, equally, the same can be said of them being re-designated as LSA etc.

So far there has only been one meeting so we have a while to wait before any concrete decisions are made. Then there will be the consultation and then, hopefully, it being put into being if all looks good to the various organisations. That gives plenty of time to think about any licence conversions/upgrades but, as I understand it, the idea is to avoid unnecessary licence issues and make the whole thing pretty seamless.
B1engineer liked this
By lobstaboy
RichJordan wrote:Where did you get the info about Microlight Plus? Although I've heard about the possible weight increase, I've not heard of that name before, I wonder if that means things have progressed.

I'm also a NPPL(M). I've got a 472.5kg CTSW currently and believe that all it would take to convert it to a 600kg machine is a new BRS parachute. Would be nice to be able to take a passenger AND a full tank of fuel.

Changing the definition of a microlight to 600kg/45kn won't mean that the limits imposed when an individual aeroplane was approved in the UK automatically change. Even if the design is approved differently overseas.
So it's not that simple.
By Spooky
I’d just wait too. The small difference in weight might not require any extra training?

I was fine flying a 600kg aircraft in Oz this year on my NPPL m licence, found them easier if I’m honest!
By cmoreflyer
I have decided to go ahead and add on the ssea rating to my nppl (m) as it will open up a bigger variation of aircraft that i will be legally entitled to fly.

Has anyone went down this route?
recommendations of flight school and instructors?
What areas do i need to study up on for the written exams?

If/when the 600kg limit is introduced i can undergo the extra training as required.

Thanks
By B1engineer
Let me know how you get on as I'm probably going to do later this year.
From what I gather:
General Aeroplane written exam
2 hrs stall and spin prevention training
2hrs dual instruement appreciation
GST and NST

Regards
B1