For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Chris Martyr wrote:@OCB

I think you may have given birth to a monster here mate.... :pale:

Ya think? It’s May, and TBH if I was circling around some English fetes I’m sure I’d love to see and hear some actual Morris stuff.

I guess very much like bagpipe music - effin horrible to hear recorded, but the difference “live” @@.
By Chris Martyr
OCB wrote: I’d love to see and hear some actual Morris stuff.

I find watching Morris dancing a bit like eating a kebab .

[ sort of thing you only do when you're 'piste',,, :oops: ]

Mind you , if it was Dark Morris by Steeleye Span with Miss Jessie-May Smart on violin,,,,, :thumright:
By morticiaskeeper
I've got into more traditional music over the past few years. Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman, Afro Celt Sound System, Bellowhead etc.

It has been said that the definition of a gentleman is a man that is capable of playing the bagpipes, but chooses not to. The Red Hot Chilli Pipers do put on an excellent show.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Samsonite liked this
By Bill Haddow
Chris Martyr wrote:I find watching Morris dancing a bit like eating a kebab .

Are the Edgeley Morris Men still on the go ? I haven't heard of them for a wee while.

Bill H
By Chris Martyr
Bill Haddow wrote:Are the Edgeley Morris Men still on the go ? Bill H

,,,,,,,,,,Hhmmm . Had to scratch my head a bit with this one .

They're not connected to the Borsetshire Mummers by any chance are they Bill..?.. :D
kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Go to Gateshead, Inner London etc. and the chavs therein will dance about on anything - Ford, Vauxhall, a Jag even
By Bill Haddow
Chris Martyr wrote:
They're not connected to the Borsetshire Mummers by any chance are they Bill..?.. :D

Don't think so, Chris. Mummer play was one of the few folklore fal-de-rals that Nigel P didn't drag into LL, though they could have had a crossover / mesalliance elsewhere.

Bill H
kanga liked this
By OCB
Bill Haddow wrote:
OCB wrote: bagpipe music

Best appreciated with the assistance of binoculars :snooty:

Bill H

You never wondered why there’s a piper at a funeral? Them things can cross the ethereal divide!

I kinda like the BadPiper, never had the chance to see him live - but the YouTube video of him doing Thunderstruck is a laugh.

Got talking to a Flemish colleague of mine yesterday and today, he procured a Black Watch kilt, nice hand crafted sporran, belt etc for not a bad price. The lad is 6ft plus, has a rather fun haircut and is most of the way through having his upper body covered in little pictures. Apparently over here, amongst the post-punk/biker culture- “it’s a thing”.

I did suggest he goes to a “proper” Ceilidh - the fun ones where trad music was played, but steel toed boots and gum shield are advised.

Ooh, that would be a fun “gig economy” adventure here in Belgium- a hard/thrash metal “Celtic fusion” Ceilidh :lol:

I did see the Afro Celt Sound System (free) at the Grand Place many years back. Lovely surprise that was, since I was genuinely just taking a short cut.Sounded more Indo/Pak than Afro to me, or at least the first album.

*edited for mild iPhone induced wobblies.
Last edited by OCB on Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bill McCarthy
How to drive a Scotsman mad - nail his feet to the deck and play a Runrig album. These guys were bliddy good, until the lead singer Donnie quit to become a bliddy MP. They had everyone jumpin’. A CD of theirs survived the Columbia disaster and returned to them - a favourite of Dr. Lauren Clark - a tribute to her on the tube - “Running to the Light”. Worth a scrintz.
By OCB
Bill McCarthy wrote:How to drive a Scotsman mad - nail his feet to the deck and play a Runrig album. These guys were bliddy good, until the lead singer Donnie quit to become a bliddy MP. They had everyone jumpin’. A CD of theirs survived the Columbia disaster and returned to them - a favourite of Dr. Lauren Clark - a tribute to her on the tube - “Running to the Light”. Worth a scrintz.

:shock:

Never heard about the Colombia story before. Emotive stuff indeed.

Just did a rough and dirty genealogy check, and her paternal elder was apparently from Paisley and in the US circa 1800. I have a very strong connection to the Scot’s Clark family - as in it’s my maternal grandmother’s family, and I knew plenty of the local Clarks, to the point my aunt (born 1893) stayed with us in the late 70s. Rather effin freaky to think I’m maybe a few family steps away from Dr Lauren.

I have family who are retired and in the family history game, so will check that out.
By kanga
Bill Haddow wrote:

Bill H

.. but the long distances over which the unmistakeable sound carries has been used as a weapon of war, alerting the enemy that Scots (or Irish or Canadian or Gurkha or ..) soldiers are nearby and, eg, controlling dominant ground; disheartening the former. Reportedly, it was even used in the Falklands* :)

(*heard only 2nd hand)
By OCB
kanga wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:

Bill H

.. but the long distances over which the unmistakeable sound carries has been used as a weapon of war, alerting the enemy that Scots (or Irish or Canadian or Gurkha or ..) soldiers are nearby and, eg, controlling dominant ground; disheartening the former. Reportedly, it was even used in the Falklands* :)

(*heard only 2nd hand)

Great - let’s be honest. If there was a UN vote on designating bagpipes as a WMD, even I’d struggle to oppose it :shock:
kanga liked this