Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By bilko2
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can anyone recommend a PC simulator that incorporates the newer fancy PBN GPS?

I expect I will have to replace my venerable 430 soon and I would like to be able to practice.
By mmcp42
you can do PBN with a 430
even the simulator works (very old, but functional
PaulB liked this
By PaulisHome
I've used X-Plane 11. There's a Mooney Ovation model with a GTN750 and a Mooney 201 with a GNS430 (I think). Other types of aircraft exist - I wanted a Mooney since that's what I fly.

It was a very good way of learning to fly PBN. However there are still some differences between the sim and the actual thing - in my case because the coupling with the HSI and autopilot was different. But the GTN750 was a pretty good representation.

Paul
Melanie Moxon liked this
By pete2052
Garmin have a gtn650/750 simulator for pc free on their website which allows you to practice the button pressing... which is what most of it is about.
By Lefty
No, the Avidyne 740 & 750 are direct competitors.
If you have an exec jet - (or exec jet pockets), you might choose Rockwell Collins.
By GrahamB
bilko2 wrote:Can anyone recommend a PC simulator that incorporates the newer fancy PBN GPS?

I expect I will have to replace my venerable 430 soon and I would like to be able to practice.

Which 430 do you have?

Both non-W and W variants are capable of meeting PBN requirements, although the non-W can only meet the most basic RNAV requirements. The W can do RNP-1 and RNP-APR with the relatively inexpensive STC from GAMA. Squeezing a few more years of life from what you have may be a less expensive route than a full replacement.
wigglyamp liked this
By bilko2
I have 430 non-W. I'm aware that it does (very) basic PBN.
I'm also aware of Avidyne 740 & 750 but I noted that no one mentioned it.
By stevelup
If you haven't already, I highly recommend you download and read this:-

https://pplir.org/pbn_manual/

Really though the only thing a GTN can do that even the most ancient 430 can't is RF waypoints, and even then the GTN can only do it in an approved installation with an EHSI.

So whilst you say your 430 is primitive - it's actually adequate.
By GrahamB
stevelup wrote:If you haven't already, I highly recommend you download and read this:-

https://pplir.org/pbn_manual/

Really though the only thing a GTN can do that even the most ancient 430 can't is RF waypoints, and even then the GTN can only do it in an approved installation with an EHSI.

So whilst you say your 430 is primitive - it's actually adequate.

I disagree.

Out of the box, a GTN can do and is approved for 3D (LPV) approaches, which a basic 430 can not do, unless it first upgraded to a W, and then the STC applied. A GTN is RNP approved, so has FDE inbuilt, removing the need for manual RAIM checks which would have to be done on a basic 430.
By stevelup
By the way, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you wrote in either of your posts! If it came across that way, that was not my intention.