For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:In the midst of this ongoing farce, the USA last night declaring a National Emergency re Huawei " seemed like a relatively new and quite important thing to me.

Not being a telecoms expert I will ask what might be a silly question; is this a common thing?

Trump declaring a national emergency just allows him to do what he likes without any input from Congress et al. It's essentially an abuse of power rather than a response to a real threat.

Kit with exploitable holes is commonplace, whether they are deliberate holes or inadvertent holes is not that important really since the exploiters in Russia, China and Israel ( the primary players) will find a hole if they need one.

I've sat and watched them try to hack into servers at Cambridge University when I was an IT Director there and I've also watched them have a go at a major High St bank where a guy who used to work for me was Director of Risk Management.
By eltonioni
I must admit that I was thinking of the geopolitical effects on the UK and the current PM, not whether or not the People's Army opens the boxes to add chips after kit leaves the Huawei factory. I took the last bit as read. ;)
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:I must admit that I was thinking of the geopolitical effects on the UK and the current PM, not whether or not the People's Army opens the boxes to add chips after kit leaves the Huawei factory. I took the last bit as read. ;)

The evidence that has reached the public domain in respect of Huawei has been hinted at in this thread by @matthew_w100 . It's cock up rather than conspiracy :wink:
By johnm
deleted duplicate due connection glitch
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:
eltonioni wrote:I must admit that I was thinking of the geopolitical effects on the UK and the current PM, not whether or not the People's Army opens the boxes to add chips after kit leaves the Huawei factory. I took the last bit as read. ;)

The evidence that has reached the public domain in respect of Huawei has been hinted at in this thread by @matthew_w100 . It's cock up rather than conspiracy :wink:

Cock / conspiracy accepted, but again, it's not really my line of thinking. I can't get beyond political incompetence.
By johnm
I can't get beyond political incompetence.

There's a lot of it about at present especially in the UK and USA, but we shouldn't risk Ian's wrath by discussing that here :-)
By johnm
The issue of technology transfer is working its way up the European agenda too...…
By eltonioni
Reports that chip manufacturers inc. Intel, Qualcomm, and Broadcom have also stopped supplying Huawei.

Now THAT is what no deal feels like for the other side. ;)
By Nomad63
Hold on, these chips supplied by American companies are manufactured where exactly?
I believe its China, could they not just continue making em (with a slight alteration if they could be bothered)

It looks to me like another Donald foot shooting event, something he thought might appeal to his base with the looming election in mind, but in actual economic terms completely bonkers
By johnm
There are typically multiple sources. Intel chips are made China I believe (amongst other places) the big winners out of this are likely to be Taiwan and Korea chip fabrication is now a global business and China is by no means the biggest or only source.
By avtur3
Nomad63 wrote: ... It looks to me like another Donald foot shooting event, something he thought might appeal to his base with the looming election in mind, but in actual economic terms completely bonkers ...

Having seen some of the news coverage of this story from other parts of the world it appears many think Donald could be putting the USA out of step with large chunks of the world.

Google has now reacted by restricting Huawei's access to Android, I wonder if that move was entirely warranted or if there was influence from the Whitehouse ?
By JoeC
avtur3 wrote: or if there was influence from the Whitehouse ?

I assume that US guvmint would want as many corporations onside with it's policy as it can and may have shared some intel with the big boys at Google, Qualcomm etc.

As we have no such big boys and are unlikely to in the foreseeable future then I guess the UK govt is happy for us to continue pottering on as we were.

If everything does go out of whack and the Chinese decide to turn off our wifi access and central heating before delivering a massive nuclear strike there's four fifths of ferk all the UK can do about it anyway. Of course as we are all engulfed in the inferno we can rest assured that there will be some Royal Navy captain bravely trying to tune into the Archers in his leaky boat before launching our devastating counter attack. After he's called the US to ask for permission of course.
By avtur3
JoeC wrote: .... Of course as we are all engulfed in the inferno we can rest assured that there will be some Royal Navy captain bravely trying to tune into the Archers in his leaky boat before launching our devastating counter attack ...

Someone call?

"Captain 'Thunderguts' Povey here with HMS Troutbridge and her trusty, if somewhat motley, crew standing by and ready for action... SIR!"
By Bill McCarthy
The captain doesn’t call anybody - he gets his orders, the launch process starts, not knowing whether it is an exercise or the real thing, until the stand down order comes, or not.
kanga, Melanie Moxon liked this