Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
malcolmfrost wrote:But then I pay for airborne time and 1 minute is £2 or a coffee :D

Eh, so you land ASAP so you can buy a coffee? :?

I'd rather have another minute flying. :wink:
By malcolmfrost
Will do!
In CAT everyone ,I think, does it to the minute as it affects Flight Time limitations, Sky Demon outputs exact minutes so that’s what I use. It’s also much easier than rounding, using conversion chart etc.! The OP wouldn’t have had the problem they did.....!
PaulB liked this
By RisePilot
EASA regs state that you may log time in either tenths or minutes format.

This thread is more about communication than math. Should the OP have used a clear and consistent format (i.e. 1:30 vs 1.5), we would not be having this three-page thread on adding a column of numbers.
Last edited by RisePilot on Mon May 20, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydriller liked this
By AfricanEagle
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:snip> no one would book a flight if one minute duration anyway?

I have! :lol: :lol: :lol: When I had my EFATO. Had to put it in the logbook, not something that happens everyday (fortunately).
GrahamB, Waveflyer liked this
By SteveC
malcolmfrost wrote:Will do!
In CAT everyone ,I think, does it to the minute as it affects Flight Time limitations, Sky Demon outputs exact minutes so that’s what I use. It’s also much easier than rounding, using conversion chart etc.! The OP wouldn’t have had the problem they did.....!

We don't. Its rounded to 5 mins in our ops procedures. FTL is more than just minutes in the air, its the duty period that has to be accounted for and breaks etc.
By OhNoCB
I have only ever logged decimal, never had any problems doing so and my logbook has been to the CAA numerous times.

FWIW - I also round to the nearest 5 mins and I am commercial as well - we get pretty close to limits sometimes.
By JAFO
OhNoCB wrote:I have only ever logged decimal, never had any problems doing so and my logbook has been to the CAA numerous times.

FWIW - I also round to the nearest 5 mins and I am commercial as well - we get pretty close to limits sometimes.

How do you log decimal and round to the nearest 5 minutes?
T67M liked this
By malcolmfrost
My company probably log in exact minutes as that is what they get from the aircraft systems, as we have seen it just introduces confusion to do it any other way!
I've had a good Google, and it seems that any way, exact, rounding, decimal, decimal+rounding is OK, it's just custom and practice.
By defcribed
JAFO wrote:How do you log decimal and round to the nearest 5 minutes?

As an example, you're brakes off at 09:59 and brakes on at 11:28.

Round 09:59 to 10:00.

Round 11:28 to 11:30.

10:00 to 11:30 is logged as 1.5.
By defcribed
Well yes, in theory, but per my earlier post this is the somewhat easier system that I was taught and still use:

00 = 0.0
05 = 0.1
10 = 0.2
15 = 0.3
20 = 0.3
25 = 0.4
30 = 0.5
35 = 0.6
40 = 0.7
45 = 0.7
50 = 0.8
55 = 0.9
60 = 1.0

Besides, if I was rounding to 6 minutes then I'd be writing all sorts of strange brakes off/on times in my logbook.

This system does work, but I rather wish I'd used minutes and recorded everything to the minute. It's not hard, you just look at your watch at brakes off/on. Am considering changing.