Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
Just after people's thoughts on the ups and downs of staying current on two types.

I came back to flying last year so think of myself as a new, low-houred PPL and very much am in terms of both competence and confidence. I have been flying a Robin HR200 and really enjoy it, the only thing is, being a bigger chap, I have to make a choice between a decent amount of fuel or a taking a passenger and I like flying with others. I could also fly a C172 at a different airfield and that would give me the chance to take other people with me.

I like both airfields and both clubs but the C172 is a bit dearer and a bit further away from me. I also don't particularly want to give up flying the Robin. On average I fly just a couple of times a month, occasionally a bit more.

So, I guess my question is, should I make my mind up and stick to one type or alternate between the two?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's useful having access to several types for the reason that you give, mission flexibility. As you gain in experience, you will probably want try other types as well. The more that you fly, the easier it will become to adjust to the flying characteristics of the particular aircraft that you are flying that day. Looking at my log book, there will frequently be six or seven types on one log book page, from SportCruiser to Chieftain. Before flight, just make sure that you mentally adjust to the given type and follow the appropriate POH / checklist.

Iceman 8)
JAFO liked this
By rikur_
I mostly fly T67, but use warrior and C172 when I need more seats. Very different flying experience - high wing/low wing; yoke/stick; carb/injected; performance/lacking performance; but absolutely no problem swapping between them (and I'm a relatively low hours PPL).
JAFO, kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
I fly about a dozen types a year, the type I have most hours on accounts for about 17% of my total time.

The secret, in my opinion, is to knowing and accepting that every type is different. I have a folder of notes that summarise the characteristics of each type I fly, and personal A5 kneeboard cards that I reresh from, and sit on my kneeboard in flight with starting procedure, operating limits and speeds, key performance numbers and emergency drills.

If I have flown the type recently 5 minutes does it to refresh, not recently half an hour to an hour, and a new type to me - at least half a day with the POH, and any other advice I can get my hands on.

Embrace the fact that each type has individual characteristics that you need to get right, and you will be fine.

G
JAFO liked this
By PaulSS
WARNING: Silly Old Git Story which contributes nothing to the question :D

One of the problems with flying different types is (sometimes) the varied equipment required. Returning to those heady days when I had slightly more hair on my pate, I found myself in the very fortunate position of flying 2 different types of Harrier and (effectively) 2 different types of Hunter (there were actually 4 but the equipment was common to 3 of them). Often I could find myself in 3 different aircraft in one day. That's fantastic (and it was) but oh SO annoying when you've strapped in to the steed and gone to connect your oxygen mask, only to find the one you need is still hanging in your locker and that no amount of hammering will get the wrong hose in the wrong hole (quiet in the cheap seats). Not so bad when you're in a different Harrier, as they all sit on the same ramp, but more than a bit embarrassing when you've got a Harrier oxygen mask on and you're sitting in a Hunter on the other side of the airfield :oops:

My pre-flight preparation was obviously sorely lacking :shock:

Now, back to normal service and relevant dits :D
Paul_Sengupta, JAFO, Iceman and 2 others liked this
By JAFO
Thanks all for your positive replies.

Jaycee, you're welcome, I hope it's of use to you. As I said, it's only based on my own experience not any inside knowledge but it seems to work for me.

PaulSS, if ever they're the two types I'm staying current on it is likely that the third type I'd have to stay current on would be the flying pig. Sounds fascinating, though and good to know that fast jet skygods have the odd difficulty, too.