For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Slouching around in a string vest? Blimey, that's a bit of an outdated stereotype! Jogging bottoms, surely?

I know I've said this before and pretty well no-one agrees, but everybody is doing the best they can with the resources they have. Or, put another way, playing the cards they've been dealt as best they can.

Read this article for a mind twisting take on it:
https://naturalism.org/philosophy/free- ... everything
JAFO liked this
PaulB wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:The whole purpose of TV is to disempower the masses, to keep them quiet and to keep them buying stuff.

That's demonstrably not true, but assuming it is, how should the masses be empowered?

Point of order: "disempowering" isn't the same as "empowering" in the same way as giving birth isn't the same as killing.
Programmes such as “Britain’s Got Talent” and others like it will be in for a knock too, or ought to be. They always include “contestants “ , purposely, that are bliddy awful, in order to tear them up for arsepaper and make a laughingstock of them.
Jim Jones wrote:There are many doors to go through in life. For some, the doors are unlocked and open at a push. For some, there is a key to unlock it. For some others, the key is not recognised as a key to the doors

For a few there is no key.

That's good,Jim. Is it yours or did you get it somewhere?
Either way I hope you'll forgive me for stealing it to use elsewhere.
Jim Jones liked this
eltonioni wrote:..
Being the lad who turned down a private education, I won’t criticise those that had. Even Etonians.

:thumright:

to channel our inner 'Hazel C':

"Hearts just as pure and fair
May beat in Belgrave Square
As in the lowly air
Of Seven Dials! " :)

[ISTR that Desmond Norman went from Eton to an apprenticeship at dH, where he met John Britten ..]
Different show, same routine no doubt. Pure predation.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... th-show-tv

@kanga it's obviously changed around there. I once got appallingly smashed on champagne in the CG Hotel's bar at Seven Dials with an Etonian after sealing a deal. The only memory is of waking up starkers on my bed with untouched room service beautifully laid out before me, and the incredible discretion of the hotel staff the following day who obviously got an eyeful the evening before. I am much reformed. :lol:
kanga liked this
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A hideous program, hosted by a sanctimonious egregious prick. It was a banal continuation of the same format vacated by Killjoy and Trisha, though no longer even trying to hide the exploitation of the vulnerable under the pretence of dispensing advice and sorting out their problems. Good riddance.
Last edited by Melanie Moxon on Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike liked this
lobstaboy wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:There are many doors to go through in life. For some, the doors are unlocked and open at a push. For some, there is a key to unlock it. For some others, the key is not recognised as a key to the doors

For a few there is no key.

That's good,Jim. Is it yours or did you get it somewhere?
Either way I hope you'll forgive me for stealing it to use elsewhere.

I use metaphors a lot in my work. This came to me after dinner. The chianti may have helped. ..
By TheFarmer
Melanie Moxon wrote:A hideous program, hosted by a sanctimonious egregious prick. It was a banal continuation of the same format vacated by Killjoy and Trisha, though no longer even trying to hide the exploitation of the vulnerable under the pretence of dispensing advice and sorting out their problems. Good riddance.

So, you weren’t a big fan then?

:lol:
Melanie Moxon liked this
By riverrock
So the question for me is whether this programme was middle class voyerism, exploiting the vulnerable ("glad I'm not like that") or a mirror of society where this is watched by and engaged with by groups of broken people who live and engage with others this way.

My understanding is that it was actually mainly the latter, judging by how some people I know live their lives. Middle classes are appalled by it, and my feeling is that someone at ITV has been itching for an excuse to shut it down, but it isn't being broadcast for or watched by or produced by the people who have said for years they are offended by these sort of shows, which have been around for decades.
By cockney steve
When there's a motorway accident, what happens?

Yes, both carriageways slow down as other (unaffected ) drivers rubberneck the resultant.

There is a morbid fascination in accidents, same effect with car-crash TV such as J. Kyle.

My late partner had TV, I got drawn in, yes we did watch how the other half live, I did marvel that "they walk among us" I did pity some of the Plod at the coal-face who had to deal daily with this human dross. but no, I was never tempted to go thieving/doing drugs/ getting plastered/ fornicating with other peoples' partners/ stuffing takeaways and seeking punchups.........
I never bothered with the soaps (Coronary nation street, hemorrhoid farm, and Ee Stenders which were other "must watch"items in her daily routine.

I don't have tv and don't miss it. The good stuff, like interviews with Eric "Winkle" Brown eventually filter through to Youtube.
By -DV8R-
Wow, what a month this has been already. Both Jeremy and Theresa removed from the limelight.... !! Kyle ? Who is that ?