Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
David Wood wrote:
Kemble Pitts wrote:In response to the OP, I was (am still) a CRI and was enjoying doing biennials, tail-wheel differences, aerobatics ratings and the like. But then I wanted to do the 'trips around the bay' in Stampes and Tiger Moths and that required me to be an FI(A) - 'cos they are, in regulatory terms, Exercise 3 of the PPL/LAPL (air experience), given under an ATO, and so the pilot needs to be an FI(A) - QED.

Of course, you don't now have to be an FI to do the 'twice round the cathedral' flights in a Tiger Moth or a Stampe, or indeed anything else. Introductory Flights (as distinct from Ex 3 - but indistinguishable in all practical senses) can now be flown by a non-FI. A PPL will do. But you can't be paid for it.

I understand that but, it is rather more 'proper' if you are an FI. Also, the operator that I fly for is an ATO at a high profile location and so does lots of these flights, they wouldn't even look at using a non-FI. Even if they did I imagine the non-FI would look and feel pretty much a second class citizen within the team.

I did fly a season of these trips as a non-FI and it became a juggling act for the operator (that one was an RTF) to manage the 'marginal activity' question. Too much effort and I wanted to fly as many trips as were available and to do it 'properly' without having to think about 'is this now too much into a grey area'.

And its good to get a few shekels for your efforts, plus I want to be able to log the time as 'instructing' - helps to keep the rating current.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I fly introductory flights with a school which insists on CRI, CPL or FI doing it - not a plain PPL. As a personal rule, I refuse to do introductory flights with anyone expressing a desire to take further training beyond that one flight. Thus far I've converted a number of "I just want to see my house" flights into full PPL courses.

My only remuneration for any flying I do with that school (including revalidations, pre-LPC brush ups, conversions on to type) is a discounted rate for aircraft hire - which as I own a share in an aircraft equates to about £40 per year when I need to borrow a plane to go and collect mine from maintenance!
akg1486 liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
akg1486 wrote:I've toyed with the idea of becoming a CRI. I think that would be a brilliant way to become a better pilot and do something useful for my fellow club members. I would not want to become an FI, but for a reason that I'm surprised haven't been mentioned in this thread.

As an FI, you're pretty much the central person in the life of one or more students. They spend a good deal of time, effort and money to pursue a new hobby or possibly even a new career. We've all been there, so we know what it's like. As an FI, I would feel an obligation to put my students' needs before my own. With the weather situation in northern Europe (pretty much same where I live as in the UK), any day with nice weather would be a day instructing rather than going on a bike ride, going a motorcycle ride, going on a picknic,....

Obviously the committment as a CRI is no less important, but it's not an ongoing thing. PPLs, including myself, are happy enough if they can find someone to do the one-hour-instruction flight in a time window of three or even six months.

The reason I haven't started the CRI route (yet!) is that I feel I need to improve my currency. 25-30 hours per year is fine to stay reasonably safe but not enough to be as good as I feel I'd need to be to become a CRI.

Actually as a CRI I find that you often develop quite a strong relationship with some of your students who may be with you for a protracted bit of differences training, a lapsed licence, their biennial, syndicate currency checks... I am not (yet) an FI, but it is certainly still rewarding.

Regarding the hours - whilst I agree that in an ideal world more hours are good, why not spend a couple of hours with an experienced instructor, ideally a school CFI and get their honest opinion of where your skills lie compared to what you need to do well on a CRI course?

G
T67M, akg1486 liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
matthew_w100 wrote:Is there a secret bit of the CAA website available to instructors only? I've searched and searched but I can't find anything that describes the various FI ratings and their requirements and rights. But then I'm rubbish at searching.

EASA FCL.

G
By MichaelP
When you are allowed to instruct it can be very rewarding, but not so much financially.
I am in Canada until Thursday because I like what I do.
Though I do not meet the EASA standard, I can pretend to know what I am doing very well, since I have thousands of hours pretending like this.
Sending someone off on their first solo like this a week ago.
I’ve never been bored doing circuits.
Even when the ‘runway’ is flooded.
Occasionally with the wheels up as well!
You get the chance to fly different aeroplanes.
Teach different procedures.
Perfect manoeuvres (ball should be displaced slightly into the sixty degree turn).
So why not follow in my wake, at least for a while, until the reality of a financial life changes your path.
By WelshRichy
matthew_w100 wrote:Is there a secret bit of the CAA website available to instructors only? I've searched and searched but I can't find anything that describes the various FI ratings and their requirements and rights. But then I'm rubbish at searching.

I find the following resource extremely helpful for EASA regulations and I do hope they find a way to continue:
https://part-aero.com/#part-fcl/

The particulars for remuneration whilst instructing with a CRI/FI and holding a PPL are contained within are FCL.205.A:
https://part-aero.com/#part-fcl/FCL.205.A

FI Certificate Info can be found in FCL.900 - 940:
https://part-aero.com/#part-fcl/FCL.900
T67M, matthew_w100 liked this
WelshRichy wrote:I find the following resource extremely helpful for EASA regulations and I do hope they find a way to continue: ...

Genghis the Engineer wrote:EASA FCL.
G

Thanks chaps! Does this mean that my inability to find it on the CAA site is because it is not there? That's odd, but it does make me feel better.

But presumably the EASA stuff doesn't cover microlights and CRIs. I'd like to see it all gathered together.
I am currently working my way through the ATPL theory. Then CPL and FIC as soon as the theory is completed.

Intention is to instruct in my spare time as and when I can.
derekf, scd975 liked this
EASA is currently looking at a 'CPL light' with reduced theoretical knowledge requirements. The same theoretical knowledge requirements will also apply to PPL/FIs, but they won't need to hold a CPL.

Ah yes,.... like we had with the BCPL TK 30 years ago :roll:
To be fair, we still do have paid PPL/FIs, its just that they can't train beyond the LAPL.

A tip for any CRIs planning on going the non-CPL TK FI route, make sure you keep your CRI when you apply for the FI. That way the only 'gap' you'll have is between LAPL and PPL. Once someone has a PPL you can then do all of their post-PPL training using your CRI qualification.
flybymike liked this
By carlmeek
Would the same apply in reverse? So a newly minted PPL FI without CPL TKs could do the CRI course instead of the TKs and gain a good set of combined privileges?
carlmeek wrote:Would the same apply in reverse? So a newly minted PPL FI without CPL TKs could do the CRI course instead of the TKs and gain a good set of combined privileges?

That’s an interesting question,
I wonder whether there may be a case for embedded CRI privileges for a PPL FI without CPL TKs (possibly difficult for if it required changes) or being able to do the two at once? Would be nice if an examiner could complete the two forms (if requested) as I understand the content of a CRI course and exam would be covered in the FI course and flight test
I certainly know people who on completion of the FI rating and met the requirements for issue of a CRI got both issued.

However I have since been told by an FIC that a FI rating now contains inbuilt CRI privileges. I wasn't so sure so if anyone could confirm it would be appreciated.
Andrew Sinclair liked this