Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It could have its uses. Proper formation flying would also benefit. We have a couple of discreet frequencies we use (not telling here) but it would be nice to have something official as both need to be well up to speed if you only plan to use hand signals. HEFOE/PEFOM excepted.
PeteSpencer wrote:
Nomad63 wrote:I can't decide if this a good thing or not.
It has the potential for usefullnes or annoyance and safety enhancement or reduction, all depending on the end user, time will tell.

It'll put an end to the Safetycom microlight babble round our way: which consists of a neverending stream of
'where are you,Bill' '(to the background noise of lawn mower engine)
Just coming up to the church'
When are you arriving'
Dunno: want to do a circuit of my house.
OK see you in the pub at 6.
Better make it a bit later
OK 630?
Yeah 6.30s good

Arrrgh :roll:

Peter :wink:

No difference this saturday lots of babble on Safetycom and dead quiet on the 129.835, very early days of course but I still meet loads of people that aren't aware of stuff that happened ages go like mandatory use of serviceable Transponders.

Perhaps it's just those of us with spare time on our hands that get to read all these changes (it does seem to be endless)
Nomad63 wrote:It'll put an end to the Safetycom microlight babble...

No difference this saturday lots of babble on Safetycom and dead quiet on the 129.835

Which just goes to show that the Safetycom babble is bigger GA stuff whereas the lawnmower engine drivers have perfect radio discipline.
;)
Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nomad63 wrote:Selective quoting above is attributing to me something that was Pete Ss posting :roll:

Aw c'mon: the first line of the 2-line quote was indeed mine, but the second line was yours.

Peter :roll:
OK so I'm based at a grass strip using using safety com. I'm close to an airfield that has its own frequency, and also microlights. There are gliders on the nearby hills, and helicopters may well be transiting, potentially all on different frequencies.

Now I don't want to plough/be ploughed into by ANY of those.

Surely an area based common frequency would be more sensible.
seanxair, terryws liked this
lobstaboy wrote:Which just goes to show that the Safetycom babble is bigger GA stuff whereas the lawnmower engine drivers have perfect radio discipline.
;)

As a matter of interest, how many of the "lawnmower engine drivers" are in fact using Rotax 912 engines commonly fitted in most GA stuff built this millennium?
matthew_w100 wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:Which just goes to show that the Safetycom babble is bigger GA stuff whereas the lawnmower engine drivers have perfect radio discipline.
;)

As a matter of interest, how many of the "lawnmower engine drivers" are in fact using Rotax 912 engines commonly fitted in most GA stuff built this millennium?

How many microlights use a 150cc Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke as commonly fitted to lawnmowers?
I understand the Rotax 2 cyl 2 stroke engines were originally designed for snowmobiles and hovercraft not lawnmowers. :roll:
kanga liked this