Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I had many a conversation about the CAA as Safety promoter and Regulator but never changed minds.

The best one could point to is the GA Unit which reached out to us lot at exhibitions.

So the notion of the CAA promoting aviation generally was and never will be going to happen. Which is where APPG-GA came in. Wasn’t it?
So if Mr Wimpy bids enough for the land on which the local hospital stands, we should let him knock it down and build some more of those lovely blocks of flats in its place? :roll: :clown:

That Councillor might well have said 'yes' :roll:

On that basis: just think how many blocks of flats they could build on the land occupied by Heathrow........ :mrgreen: :clown:
JAFO liked this
Jonzarno wrote:..

On that basis: just think how many blocks of flats they could build on the land occupied by Heathrow........ :mrgreen: :clown:

I'm sure that has occurred to some of those backing 'Boris island' :roll:
johnm liked this
I've outlined my theory beforetimes and I'm happy to run it up the flagpole once more.

The obvious place for Marshalls to relocate is Mildenhall. Just a few miles down the A14, loads of space for them with some spare to develop industrial units to lease out, maybe even some for housing, in excess of the existing base housing that is to be vacated.

The timescale for the USAFE exit is slipping back and will maybe reach... Oh, let me think... Ten years?

Marshalls have consistently denied any interest whatsoever on a site where they already have placed a facility. Now if I were anticipating a bargaining session with the MOD I'm pretty sure I wouldn't up front say "Ideally we'd move to Mildenhall" That would be rather kicking the legs from under your negotiators. I'd probably pick the three nearest options, however unlikely (Duxford anyone) and put about how all these wonderful, local opportunities beckon.

"But, Mr MOD, if the price was right I suppose we could overcome all the difficulties and think about Mildenhall..."

Those around in ten years, see if I'm right.

Rob P
johnm wrote:This went round the buoy over 10 years ago. It’s a really bad idea. There is no way that such a development can fit with the Newmarket Road and A14. They’ll need massive infrastructure development, though the planners were convinced that all the new residents would go everywhere by bike and bus when I talked about it last time :roll:

Part of the problem was the local planners being overruled re the barns on Newmarket Road. That should have been residential, and the barns should have been where Arbury Camp (aka Arbury Park aka whatever-it's-called-this-week) has ended up. Then Newmarket Road would be a perfectly good route into town from the airfield site - one lane for buses and bikes, one for cars, all the foreigner shopping traffic out of the equation.
James Chan wrote:who is approving the change of land use to housing?

I did, amongst others (it's been in the plans since 2003).

It was held up first by the "over my dead body" from Sir Arthur, and then by an internal political struggle within Marshalls which the "stay" faction won at the time I was following it.

My fellow councillors did get rather bored with my declaration of interest "as a regular user of the airport".
WingsOff wrote:Much better bet, just strike a deal with MOD

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Last time around the MOD couldn't even do a deal with Defence Estates - so much for joined up government!!!

The senior civil servant tasked with getting the deal wrote us a letter explaining his failure:

"I went and asked them, and they said 'no'."
I believe it was proposed to extend the hard runway westward, though personally I think eastwards on a bridge could have made life on the M11 more interesting :D

Rob P
Gertie liked this
Rob P wrote:I believe it was proposed to extend the hard runway westward, though personally I think eastwards on a bridge could have made life on the M11 more interesting :D

... and if it had been done a few decades ago it might have saved my then colleague from landing his glider on the motorway embankment :lol:
Rob P liked this