Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
PaulB wrote:Doesn’t really provide anything scientific..... not even a reference.

Probably because the available link is only to the Exec Summary, not the full tech report.
Dave W wrote:
PaulB wrote:Doesn’t really provide anything scientific..... not even a reference.

Probably because the available link is only to the Exec Summary, not the full tech report.

Maybe so. Still, quite a hard number to believe though.
Not "maybe so" - is so.

The full report may or may not shine a light on the numbers, but the fact is that a short Exec Summery cannot provide you the info you ask for - you need more.
Mk 1 eyeball doesn't see every threat, even when used optimally
EC doesn't catch everything
Eyeball + EC catches more than eyeball

Spotting a threat late is a shock, 'eeek, how did it get there?' Therefore any enhancement feels good, this may be a Pyrrhic benefit.

Question:
Are the costs / compromises for YOUR flying worth spending the time, energy and money to have EC?
The cost right now is very low, WHETHER it's worth the cost vs benefit is up to you

Side note: 'I can't decide' is doing nothing, it's a non-choice choice. The answer is: Yes, No or Not Yet
Rob P liked this
A small modification of your excellent summary :

EC doesn't catch everything
EC doesn't make everyone more aware of your presence
Eyeball + EC catches more than eyeball
Eyeball + EC makes it more likely you will be spotted by others

Rob P
Rob P wrote:A small modification of your excellent summary :

Eyeball + EC makes it more likely you will be spotted by others

Rob P

And makes it more likely that you will spot others. PAW and other similar devices should be compulsury equipment if you ask me. If everybody had it it would he 2*(eyes+EC) which is a lot better than 2*eyes
TheFarmer wrote:Is there an online video that demonstrates it properly for simpletons? The PAW website is written in a way that assumes the reader took part in the last lunar landing.

I slightly agree. As a fully paid-up idiot I would have valued an Idiot's Guide. Both SE2 and PAW are similar in this regard. When I engaged with the the staff of both they were incredibly helpful. But a lot of that discussion could have been avoided with a proper guide.
It may take a few cups of tea but I think this is quite an easy read:

https://pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/180520-Operating-Instructions-.pdf

Just search YouTube for Pilot Aware and it'll give you a video of the basics as well.

Also, you can follow the links from the main page below and get more info on all the aspects of PAW, including OGN etc:

https://pilotaware.com/rosetta/
DMarti32
Ram-B-202A fits the Rosetta and provides a ball mount

I fly a PA28 and the following works for me. A short arm Ram B-201-A allows connection to a suction cup Ram B-224-1. This allows the face of the Rosetta to be angled outwards and keeps the aerials vertical. The assembly has been mounted on a rear window for several weeks without falling off over 10+ flights.

Phil
Ill throw my observation in as a low time pilot, I passed my skills test in November and received my licence mid December. A couple of days ago was my first flight (Gamston to Turweston) where I used my PAW.

On the trip, the device picked a number of aircraft up that neither I nor my passenger had seen. None of them were a danger to us, but they were white aircraft against a white sky so were very inconspicuous. Once I had noticed them on SD and seen where to look, we acquired them quite quickly, so to me at least the small cost of the device is well worth it for the additional help in acquiring targets. I can understand people not wanting to be forced to fit EC, but I don't understand those who claim their eyes are all that's needed and don't think the additional help is worth having, on a normal trip in a car, I don't need ABS or my seatbelts, but I am glad they are fitted just in case.

The downside was the number of gliders that it didn't pick up, including the one that circled above us about 200 ft above for quite a while, that wasn't pleasant especially as for much of the time we couldn't see him.

An interesting anecdote about the MK1 eyeball. A few year ago we were providing some catering services to a venue in London where a medical company was conducting some psychology experiments. In the room we were in was a large landscape painting, with 2 squares joined together painted in the middle of the picture, one facing the sky and one the ground. I asked the doctor in charge what it was about and he asked me the colour of these squares, "The top one is white the bottom black". He asked if I was sure and my colleague with me confirmed he saw the same. When the guy placed his hand across where the 2 squares were joined, they both instantly became grey, when he removed it they went back to black and white.

The explanation given, was that the eyes transmitted the picture to the brain, which then used its experience and the billions of images it had already processed in the past, to show what it thought should be there as the top square facing the sun should be brighter than the bottom one facing the shadows. He went on to say that much of what we saw, was not what was actually there, but what the brain perceived as should be there.

Just made me think that no matter how good my eyes are, I am relying on my grey matter to interpret it correctly.