Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An interesting talk this evening at the London Flying Club by Group Captain Mark Manwaring on his forthcoming world record attempt to fly around the world in 18 days in a home-built RV7, breaking the previous record of 26 days. The flight will be Biggin Hill to Biggin Hill, his arrival back at Biggin being accompanied by two Spitfires. This will be a test of physical and mental endurance with 13 hour flying days and not a lot of sleep.

http://rafcentenaryflightofthenavigator.org.uk/homepage

Iceman 8)
gaznav liked this
By skydriller
Am I the only one thinking "what a waste"...I just dont get it.

If ever I had the money, resources and aeroplane to fly around the world Id certainly want to enjoy the experience by stopping along the way and seeing as much as possible.

Different strokes for different folks...but I wish him well all the same.

Regards, SD..
Rob P, JAFO, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
You are not alone.

But if it's the guys dream then good luck to him, though I'm more impressed by Amanda Harrison and her Tiger Moth flight to Darwin.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Melville, mikeblyth liked this
This is a flight to attempt to break the World Record for circumnavigation by an RV-7 sized aircraft (there are specific classes for certain sizes of aircraft). If successful then ‘Manners’ will break the World Record for the UK and we should be supportive as this puts UK GA into the mind of the rest of the world.

It is not exactly a sightseeing trip, it is a sporting endurance test that demands significant skill and commitment. :thumright:
Iceman, joe-fbs, TangoZulu2 liked this
By Dave W
I remember reading Steve Noujaim's comments on the feat of physical and mental endurance that was his London-Cape-London record, and the enhanced respect he had for Alex Henshaw doing it with the lack of tech of his time.

Based on that, this one will also be one heck of a feat even to attempt. Fair winds!
Iceman, gaznav, eltonioni and 1 others liked this
Looks like the RAF Centenary Flight of the Navigator crew will be right up to the line time-wise.

The website shows 25 days to go before departure and according to their FB page the aircraft was only just having wings and engine fitted last week.
http://rafcentenaryflightofthenavigator.org.uk

Most new LAA aircraft have turn around times of greater than than the available 20-ish working days for issue of PFRC for flight testing, the actual flight testing and subsequent issue of initial Permit to Fly, even if built with no variation from the plans/kit - Presumably G-FOTN will have a significant number of mods requiring LAA engineering approval which all adds time.

With the LAA Rally approaching at end of August too there is always high demand on engineering time to get members' new built aircraft permits out in time to go to the Rally and, whilst I wish Mark Manwaring every success with his venture, I do hope the LAA engineers don't have to make the tough choice of deciding who to prioritise at this busy time.
golfcharlie wrote: But he is not exactly flying into the unknown, unlike Francis Chichester, Jean Batten and others of that era; .

Some might argue that this flight is more into the unknown than flying through the then British Empire, with all the support that it could provide!