For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We rightfully malign the views taken by El Qaeda/IS/Saudi Arabia et al when they oppress women.

But on the other side of the Atlantic there are some pretty grim things happening too.

What is the world coming to?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48275795

Of course closer to home we have the abortion laws in NI which are very much more draconian than what we have in the rest of the UK.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48275795

Their country, not mine. Their rules. If you don't like it, don't go.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Of course closer to home we have the abortion laws in NI which are very much more draconian than what we have in the rest of the UK.

Devolved matter. Their province, their rules. If you don't like it, don't go.

FWIW I am a believer that women should have the choice. I also believe that outsiders have no business in telling us how we should arrange our domestic affairs, and we should reciprocate that courtesy.
By johnm
We can’t entirely ignore oppression of people in other countries, we created the UN to provide a vehicle to try and improve the lot of mankind and we should be using what mechanisms we can to encourage civilised behaviour.

We should also insist upon it at home in the U.K.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Bill Haddow wrote:@JoeC @Flyin'Dutch'

The Nazis were interfering in other countries domestic affairs; I thought I'd made it quite clear that I deplored any such conduct, but hey-ho, if I have to draw pictures . . . :snooty:

Bill H

So by that logic, in your view, it would have been OK for the Nazis to let them get on with their evil business and put the German Jews in the gas chambers but them invading the rest of Europe was a step too far, and a countering them a worthwhile activity.
They kid themselves that they are ; "The land of the Free". Which is kind of ironic , considering that most of them have never been anywhere else .

I started flying in Georgia in 1991 and found the people very pleasant , but somewhat uncomplicated in their outlook . Most rural 'southern boys' had very little time for descendants from the slave trade or anyone they considered 'darn yankees'. As a matter of fact , I formed the opinion that most of then weren't even aware that the civil war was over.

What I heard on R4 this morning was actually quite maddening . But totally in keeping with the small-minded , channel-visioned outlook of the way they obviously still think down there . One of things I found totally unacceptable down there is that they can love God but hate blacks . Shocking but true .

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence in their head should be able to work out that most abortion cases have very , very sad stories attached to them and that most of those poor young women/girls will have just as big a burden to carry after having the abortion than they would have if forced to give birth to a child which was the result of some hideous act of inhumanity .
What the hell some of these meathead Governors are thinking about defies belief . They're obviously not quite smart enough to work out that Jethro and Billy-Bob might just see a bit of a 'bidniss opportoonity' here by offering the younger sister who didn't quite run fast enough a bit of their bargain , "mornin' after" moonshine .

Sorry if that sounded like I was making light of it . But in all seriousness , fuelling the black market is all these idiots are doing .
It's not just in the South. While we were in Md in the '80s NBC showed the TV adaptation of "The burning bed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Bed

This was based on a case of years of spousal abuse in Michigan, mid-North, ending in wife killing husband, in '70s. There was some discussion of it my DoD office the next day, with colleagues from (sub)urban Md/DC/Va reckoning that the chauvinist attitudes and actions depicted must have been exaggerated by the producers. Then a mid-'20s US Army Sergeant from WVa (inland from DC, not South, hilly woodland and coal mines) piped up, saying it was still exactly like that at her rural home, and joining the Army had been her only chance of getting away from it. When she went home the women (of all ages) had to stand at table while the males (of all ages) ate all the courses of their meals; only after all the males had left the table could the women eat. A stroppy 6-year-old boy could keep his granny standing and hurry for as long as he chose. Oh, and yes, rape and incest were common.
Bill Haddow wrote:@JoeC @Flyin'Dutch'

The Nazis were interfering in other countries domestic affairs; I thought I'd made it quite clear that I deplored any such conduct, but hey-ho, if I have to draw pictures . . . :snooty:

Bill H

But Germany was not interfering in the domestic affairs of the UK when we went to war in September 1939.
In fact, Germany persistently offered to keep Britain and its Empire out of any German activities if we let them get on with their continental plans.

There were many, many appeasers at the time who had the same arguments and philosophy of @Bill Haddow

The US weren’t interested in doing anything either until pearl harbour and the Germans declared war on the US. Unilaterally BTW. It is assumed that the Japanese and Germans knew of each other’s plans. In fact they had virtually nothing to to with each other.

What’s that saying about for evil to succeed good men have to do nothing...
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
So by that logic, in your view, it would have been OK for the Nazis to let them get on with their evil business and put the German Jews in the gas chambers but them invading the rest of Europe was a step too far, and a countering them a worthwhile activity.

Piffle. Nonsense.

Ignoring your anacoluthon, your earlier misuse of the word "logic" is quite misplaced, and seeks to attribute to me sentiments which I have not expressed.

You may reflect that Germany had grossly interfered in the domestic arrangements of other countries, bloodily, and had subjugated their populations, long before adopting gas chambers.

Bill H
lobstaboy wrote:
But Germany was not interfering in the domestic affairs of the UK when we went to war in September 1939.

Germany was interfering with the domestic arrangements of Poland, by the simple and sufficient act of invading it; the UK at the relevant time had an "Agreement of Mutual Assistance" with Poland to cover the eventuality of either being attacked by "some European country".

Bill H
Blimey , how on earth did we manage to get into a thread drift of this magnitude so early on ?
But I suppose it all serves to illustrate how some supposedly civilised nations are still hundreds of years behind when it comes to human values.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and speaking of thread drifts ;
Bill Haddow wrote: Their rules. If you don't like it, .

Bill, :D I was out near Paris [Montlhery] over the weekend . You'll be gutted to know that the Frenchies are really ripping into the rebuild of that wee kirk , Notre Dame ... :D