Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I do wonder when such pilots are revalidated nothing is said by the instructor / examiner. In my experience the revalidator will have a reasonable idea what sort of flying the pilot is doing (how many hours, type of aircraft, etc etc) and while I am not suggesting it is their role to police for one moment a word may not go amiss. Would you really want to think the pilot is undertaking flights well beyond their ability or licence priviliges and not saying something?
IMCR wrote:I do wonder when such pilots are revalidated nothing is said by the instructor / examiner. In my experience the revalidator will have a reasonable idea what sort of flying the pilot is doing (how many hours, type of aircraft, etc etc) and while I am not suggesting it is their role to police for one moment a word may not go amiss. Would you really want to think the pilot is undertaking flights well beyond their ability or licence priviliges and not saying something?

Not necessarily. It is not our role to police prior activities, for revalidation we are there to fulfil a specific set of retirements whether it be an Instructional flight or an LPC. It is most unlikely that anyone is going to fess up to us as part of the renewal process to prior illegal activity and neither are they going to incriminate themselves in their logbooks.....
Flyin'Dutch', RisePilot liked this
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SteveC wrote:Wingly should be banned and the old equal cost share to max of 4 should be brought back for the UK.

On the contrary - Wingly et al should be encouraged as it promotes transparent cost sharing in accordance with the regulations rather than under-the-counter ad-hoc pseudo charters.
RisePilot, johnm, G-BLEW and 2 others liked this
IMCR wrote:I do wonder when such pilots are revalidated nothing is said by the instructor / examiner. In my experience the revalidator will have a reasonable idea what sort of flying the pilot is doing (how many hours, type of aircraft, etc etc) and while I am not suggesting it is their role to police for one moment a word may not go amiss. Would you really want to think the pilot is undertaking flights well beyond their ability or licence priviliges and not saying something?

What a wonderful naive take on the world.
AlanM liked this
You probably need a bit more than one wobbly witness to prove a criminal case beyond reasonable doubt. What incentive would any of the passengers have to talk to the police or the CAA anyway?

My experience is that law enforcement love low-hanging fruit. If it were that easy to prove a case against a bunch of essentially known bent charter operators, I think they'd have done it.
defcribed wrote:You probably need a bit more than one wobbly witness to prove a criminal case beyond reasonable doubt. What incentive would any of the passengers have to talk to the police or the CAA anyway?

My experience is that law enforcement love low-hanging fruit. If it were that easy to prove a case against a bunch of essentially known bent charter operators, I think they'd have done it.

I hope you are correct. I have seen invoices issued so believe me, there is an awful lot of provable evidence
defcribed wrote:Who would be stupid enough to issue paperwork for a bent charter? Unless of course the invoice described some other services.... perhaps that's how they run it in a business-like fashion.

You forget that the objective of the exercise is maximising income and minimising cost and in the quest thereof people become greedy.

This is not about people getting an extra fiver for a great service rendered.
AlanM liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

What a wonderful naive take on the world.

It would probably be a very good way of alienating your customer base!
AlanM liked this
defcribed wrote:Who would be stupid enough to issue paperwork for a bent charter? Unless of course the invoice described some other services.... perhaps that's how they run it in a business-like fashion.

Go to any Magistrates or Crown Court and you will see these people in their thousands, including Solicitors, Doctors, Policemen, people in the top end of business, Politicians etc. They didn't expect to be caught :roll:

Is a pilot or his passenger from some form of exclusive intelligence?
AlanM, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
"What a wonderful naive take on the world."

Thanks for the compliments.

Of course I know you would know better, but I have no idea why the need for clever remarks. More than happy with a little banter, but that really is poor form on your part, the more so for a moderator. I would have expected better, and not to reduce the debate to personal insults.

Then again I seem to know a fair few instructors who know the pilots they regularly revalidate pretty well, and have a very good idea what flying they do and whether they have a "reputation". Funny old world, actually I find in my naivety it is a pretty small world, and wool pulling is quite difficult.

Of course I appreciate this isnt always true, and I am not so naive as to believe that the wool cannot be pulled, but I am also not so naive as to imagine that there are some people who stick to the rule book and can presumbaly sleep well becasue they did, when sad to say going the extra mile might have been more satisfying.

Sorry, but I am a believer we are all professional pilots, and having been part of a highly regulated profession for nearly all my life I quite like the idea of professionals supporting each other.

I shall remain happy in my naivety and happy to have an examiner that is pretty insightful about most of the pilots he revalidates.

I shall also remain happy that in two different roles in aviation and another profession I find you nearly always get a pretty good feel about the professional attributes of the person pretty quickly and I know a lot of others that feel the same way as it is a frequnet discussion. Perhaps that feel just comes with experience.

Anyway, we shall have to disagree, and I am genuinely sorry we cant have diffeent opinions without the need to make them personal.