Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As is the case with a number of others on this forum, I have done the crossing quite a few times now in a number of different types, and I think I may be addicted. I'm planning my next crossing now...

The beauty of Greenland seen from low level is quite stunning.
Lefty liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I'd love to do it but a nice oil burning King Air would be on the MEL- I suspect the view from the front would be the same and my blood pressure could not cope with anything less I fear.

Once your out of gliding range of the coast it doesn't matter anymore.

One year I was in a Kingair following a twin commander going Glasgow - Reykjavik then on to the USA, when I landed I asked Sven who was the handling agent in Reykjavik, has he carried on to Greenland, no was the answer, they are still searching for the aircraft and pilot off Vestmannaeyjar.

When we fuelled in Glasgow he decided not to fill the tanks with expensive fuel and got caught out by strong headwinds at altitude, made three attempts to land on the gravel strip at Vestmannaeyjar but ran out fuel doing so, ditched about a mile of the coast but never found even though the SAR helicopter was waiting.
Last edited by Lockhaven on Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Lockhaven wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Turbines are no insurance against dumb decisions.

They just give people a false sense of security, more so when they are dumb.

Maybe so but something that just has to go round and round to do its job is less likely to break than something that has to accelerate, decelerate, stop, accelerate the other way, decelerate, stop 1800 times a minute.

Seems to borne out by time before shutdowns too.

I'd like to think that a turbine does not immediately affect my cognitive performance!

:D
By Lefty
2Donkeys wrote:As is the case with a number of others on this forum, I have done the crossing quite a few times now in a number of different types, and I think I may be addicted. I'm planning my next crossing now...

I’ll be your wingman.

Agree, it is both addictive and humbling. I’d do it again anytime.
2Donkeys liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
2Donkeys wrote:As is the case with a number of others on this forum, I have done the crossing quite a few times now in a number of different types, and I think I may be addicted. I'm planning my next crossing now...

I've done two return SEP trips, and for me it feels like that box has been ticked. I'd love to do some flying in and around Greenland and Iceland, but I have no great desire to do the crossing again (neither trip was traumatic).

Ian
2Donkeys, Bobcro, Bobcro liked this
G-BLEW wrote:I've done two return SEP trips, and for me it feels like that box has been ticked. I'd love to do some flying in and around Greenland and Iceland, but I have no great desire to do the crossing again (neither trip was traumatic).

Ian

Must have been the company! :D

But I agree. I have done many crossings now and while the piston ones were a great experience, I don't wish to repeat them.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
jasoncuk wrote:…But I agree. I have done many crossings now and while the piston ones were a great experience, I don't wish to repeat them.

Of course, should you ever find yourself alone for a jet crossing…

:-)

Ian