For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Then we have BBC news interviewing previous “attendees “ about their experiences :roll: you couldn’t make this stuff up. BBC news makes the Sun and Daily Wail look respectable and will add the Express to that list at the rate they’re going :roll:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:The BBC reports an event that affects another broadcaster. Gets some background from some who were there. What would you like them to do?

Simply say that the programme has been canned after concerns about duty of care to participants.
I have a bit of a problem with this. The libertarian in me believes that people should be allowed to go to Hell in the handcart of their own choosing, but my social conscience believes that the vulnerable should be protected from themselves and from exploitation by others.

But, and its a big "but", who is to decide who are vulnerable ?

In the particular case of the JK show, of which I know little and am happy as usual to be corrected/educated by the better informed, the thrust seems to be less on resolving the personal problems of the participants and more on providing voyeuristic delectation to the daytime TV audience. If that's the case then I say scrap it and do not tolerate anything like it. Maybe that makes me an arrogant, know-all, spoilsport; if so I'll lose no sleep over it.

Bill H
johnm, TheFarmer, GrahamB and 1 others liked this
Bill Haddow wrote:I have a bit of a problem with this. The libertarian in me believes that people should be allowed to go to Hell in the handcart of their own choosing, but my social conscience believes that the vulnerable should be protected from themselves and from exploitation by others.

Bill H

I feel for you Bill. I think you will find that almost all moral and ethical questions require you to come down on one side or the other.
In other words you are trying to hold views that are mutually incompatible.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Shows like JK are just another symptom of years of middle class patriarchal selfishness by people who think they know better than the so-called working class. Use them, abuse them, make money from them, ignore them, laugh at them, like bears in a pit or fools in a circus. Lovely.

Maybe it was always like this. Orwell seemed to think so 80 years ago.
VictoryRoll liked this
eltonioni wrote: just another symptom of years of middle class patriarchal selfishness by people who think they know better than the so-called working class.

And there old chum is where I reckon you've hit the nail right on the head . Aren't working class people , people like all of us on here ? Unless there are any members of the aristocracy on here hiding behind anonymous usernames .
But the type of people who Kyle preyed upon relentlessly are those who have probably never done a days work in their lives , but whose 52" flat-screen telly's , i-pads, x-box's,,,,,etc...etc,,have been rather kindly funded by those who have contributed to the system .
It would be interesting to know the proportion of Kyle's viewers/contestants/victims ,,,or whatever people want to refer to them as , who actually hold down a regular job . Apart from JK himself of course , who has probably become quite wealthy off the back of his nationwide special needs group.
eltonioni wrote:..

Maybe it was always like this. Orwell seemed to think so 80 years ago.

Juvenal 2,000 years ago ..

[probably irrelevant to recall that Eric Blair ('George Orwell') was an Etonian .. :) ]
eltonioni liked this
Chris Martyr wrote:[quote= .
But the type of people who Kyle preyed upon relentlessly are those who have probably never done a days work in their lives , but whose 52" flat-screen telly's , i-pads, x-box's,,,,,etc...etc,,have been rather kindly funded by those who have contributed to the system .
It would be interesting to know the proportion of Kyle's viewers/contestants/victims ,,,or whatever people want to refer to them as , who actually hold down a regular job ....

So it’s ok for these people to be exploited and demeaned by the media? Decency requires we treat everyone well, and no one be can be denied their rights.

Then again, without the underclass, poor, abused and excluded, how would we know we ourselves were wealthy, privileged and empowered?