Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Though I should share an experience last week where my Pilot Aware Rossetta averted a definite catastrophe.

It picked out head-on traffic same level that I had not seen, I could hardly believe the information presented on SKYDEMON, I immediately looked for the traffic and got it very very late, taking avoiding action with no more than 150 ft separation.

I was visually scanning for traffic and it was only that I glanced at my Android and saw the threat. I will never know if I would have got it visually, but somehow I think not. The other aircraft did not apear to see me.

That little dot in the distance may often be the one we don't see but they can grow very fast when on a reciprocal heading.

Anyway, this represents the best £250 quid spent on anything to do with aviation yet! at that price point, it made it viable for me. My heartfelt thanks for the team who developed this is due.

As a general point, it makes the case for conspicuity devices indisputable, particularly around busy airspace in the southeast. See and avoid technique is still a primary tool in my view ultimately it was my eyes that saved me.

You always have to balance between head in office and head outside very carefully, but incorporating these devices is a massive boost to safety. I plan to get the audio feed working from my Android as this allows an immediately targeted scan without undue cockpit distraction.

It wise to develop a new discipline that avoids fixation on the screen because not every flying thing is broadcasting ..particularly birds!
Jon G4LJW, ivor.phillips, Flyin'Dutch' and 11 others liked this
Standby, incoming!! :D
You always have to balance between head in office and head outside very carefully, but incorporating these devices is a massive boost to safety. I plan to get the audio feed working from my Android as this allows an immediately targeted scan without undue cockpit distraction.

After my "Skydemon/Pilot Aware saved my life" experience I have enabled audio and used it for the first time this afternoon, "Traffic 12 o'clock 800 feet above range 2 miles". And there was! Brilliant!! :D
Keith Vinning liked this
Great to here it worked and probably saved your bacon. :D :thumleft:

I think you’re absolutely right, the price point is around an affordable and sensible level. :thumleft: My difficulty in making a decision is which ‘system’ to opt for and having done so knowing what it will give and, as importantly, what may still be lurking and broadcasting ‘something’ that won’t be picked up.

In other words; I’m confused about the options. :?
I love the audio alerts I get from our PAW. It's the difference between the system being a potential life saver and being a head-down distraction.

Misc -PAW will alert you to pretty much anything that is emitting a signal. Skyecho will tell you about a more limited range of emitting devices for much more money. I'm certain we'll standardise on ADSB and eventually it will be cheap, but until then PAW is here and it's cheap and it sees everything. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are hesitating like you, waiting for standardisation. I'm from a different camp that is regularly thankful that their PAW has alerted them to something they may not have otherwise spotted. Try one, it feels great, like an angel on your shoulder trying to keep you safe.
Maxthelion wrote:Misc -PAW will alert you to pretty much anything that is emitting a signal. Skyecho will tell you about a more limited range of emitting devices for much more money.

What's needed to use it to its fullest and is there not a Mode S conflict if ADS-B is output? :?

Maxthelion wrote:...it feels great, like an angel on your shoulder trying to keep you safe.

Now that I could do with. :D
In other words; I’m confused about the options. :?[/quote]

Endorse eveything Max has said .....you dont need to wait, just get a Pilot Aware as it will pick up nearly anything that is broadcasting for not a lot of wonga, none of them can advise you of a flock of birds or a zero equipped aircraft or a rougue drone, still need MK1 eyballs. This kind of technology is fast moving I reckon you will get a few years out of the PA.

The Skyecho, FLARM and others do a good job too, but are not quite as comprehensive(yet) and are more costly ..its a personal choice .
Just the usual word of caution

I carry and use PAW but the number of contacts I pick up that are usable is remarkably low. Mode C/S are often alarming but not usable - the worst thing is when you get the red circle at 0.0 relative height. Your eyes are on stalks but the odds are you won't see it.

On the other hand I've had 4 close encounters none of which were picked up by PAW, so either they weren't squawking or only using Mode A.

Last year PAW(and I) were overwhelmed by glider contacts near ro arrival at Wycombe. I had to disconnect the audio so I could hear the radio.

All in all PAW, and I guess other similar systems, are a mixed blessing. Not everyone is using it and it is far too easy to concentrate on the targets detected and ignore a threat that PAW hasn't detected.
gaznav, ChampChump, Lefty liked this
One of the other potential causes for near misses will be the use, or maybe misuse, of accurate gps based navigation. Flying the accurate magenta line directly between two airfields/Vrp's, increases the probability of meeting an aircraft flying a reciprocal trip. As does flying at specific altitudes such as 3000ft.

Put a dogleg in your route at the start and it will create horizontal separation. Fly at 2850ft and it creates vertical separation.

In the days of paper, compass and watch navigation, nobody flew an accurate, with in a few feet, route, so near misses were not so common.

(Before you all scream, this isn't a criticism of the tech, just how it is used, and I've deliberately not used brand names!)
johnm, Keith Vinning, David Wood and 4 others liked this
Nice positive story - not going to disagree with the benefits.
But I'll capture one of my experiences from yesterday that also highlights the limitations on EC as an alternative to some form of radar service:
I was on a local bimble just north of the Humber; hazy conditions, on traffic service from Humberside.
I was got traffic information akin to 'opposite direction traffic in your 12 o'clock, 8 miles, high speed, probably military, currently 2000ft below, but likely to climb as he approaches the Humber' .... it's that last bit of context that an experience ATCO can add, that we're still some way off replicating.
We’ve thought about that before, and I’ve explored the possibility of not actually snapping the line to waypoints, but making it appear to snap while actually picking a random location several hundred metres from the target. We didn’t end up doing it though.

At enroute scales the magenta line must be a mile wide anyway, and also, nobody is forced to fly exactly along the middle of it. Who wants to fly that precisely? (Genuine question)
VictoryRoll liked this