Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Wide-Body
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://andark.co.uk/product/andark-avi ... cket-mtdw/

Very comfortable, can be used with full harness, parachute, Helmet and immersion suit. its also comfortable in a T-shirt (we all have different risk management)

The automatic function in the blurb is reference to the light. Comes with all important spray hood. PLB fits nicely on the waistband

Worth watching the you tube video.
Miscellaneous, Ridders liked this
The one recommendation I can give is that if you bring a life jacket you should be wearing it. I see far too many pilots who think that it's enough to toss it in the back seat. If you do, it will PROB90 not be used if you--God forbid--should need it.

Because of that, comfort should be a priority.
Thanks @Wide-Body exactly the info I was after. Two ordered. :thumleft:

Anyone else think of RobP when watching the video. :? :D

@akg1486 indeed, I recall an instructor saying don’t get too far from shore as we don’t have life jackets. They were hanging on the back of the office door. :lol:
Miscellaneous wrote:…however things change. :D

Any recommendations for actual jacket and a good supplier? I'm after something that will do the job if needed rather than acting as a comfort blanket. :D

TIA

If you're near a large river, look for the nearest marina with a chandlery; they usually have a selection of lifejackets in stock.
Shepperton, Penton Hook (Staines) and Harleyford (Marlow) are the ones I know, but make sure you get a manually operated one jacket; many of the marinas carry automatic inflation ones too.
chevvron wrote:but make sure you get a manually operated one jacket

All automatic life jackets can be used in manual mode by removing the the auto activation capsule (the fast dissolve canister) or hammar unit (for hyrodstatic units). This takes either 30 seconds or 2 minutes respectively and is fool-proof - it's either there or it's not

Other threads have gone into detail of such and shown photos/video. I'd please ask that incorrect information is not repeatedly dissmeninated.

Here's an example:
As an addition to this when you buy ANY lifejacket , open it up & check the CO2 cylinder is actually screwed in . As part of boating courses we see a scarily high % of new owners open up their new ( and assumed perfect) lifejackets to find they would never work due to cylinder being loose or not screwed in at all . ( sometime shipped with them removed to avoid them going off in transit) .

In addition inflate the jacket for 24 hours and leave it to make sure it doesn't leak …….
Johne liked this
I'd also add to avoid jackets with the pull-tab being a T-bar/Anchor shape such as this:

https://www.aviationsurvival.com/REVERES-COMFORT-MAX-SERIES-INFLATABLE-MANUAL-LIFE-VEST_p_101.html

The above is easily snagged and can either accidentally inflate or impede your exit if caught on any wires/cables in an emergency. I've personally seen them inflate accidentally.

Instead at least go with the small teardrop shaped bobble:

http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/Crewsaver-Crewfit-Sport-Lifejacket.html#a9010M

or better yet the newer flush-mount pull tabs (tab is next to the clear inspection window):

http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/Crewsaver-Ergofit-190N-Offshore-Lifejacket.html#a9125
After doing the ditching training and trying out my exact model of jacket, I relegated it to the copilot seat and bought one with leg straps and much bigger storage pockets. Without the leg straps it rides up and is horribly uncomfortable in minutes, let alone hours or days.

In the pockets and on the webbing I have:

- Air and Marine band radios, waterproof.
- PLB and Garmin InReach
- Sea dye
- Rescue streamer
- Escape knife with seatbelt cutter
- Boiled sweets and some water packets
- Buddy cord to clip to another survivor's vest
- Whistle
- Sea sickness pills
- Chapstick
- Sunscreen/floppy hat if in hot climates
- Wetsuit gloves and hood if in survival suit waters

Probably something I've forgotten to list!
Dave W, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Katamarino wrote:After doing the ditching training and trying out my exact model of jacket, I relegated it to the copilot seat and bought one with leg straps and much bigger storage pockets. Without the leg straps it rides up and is horribly uncomfortable in minutes, let alone hours or days.

But good enough for the passenger/copilot eh? :thumright: