Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi,

I am looking for recommendation for school/club/instructor who do good IR(R) course within reasonable distance from West Herts (Elstree, Denham, WAP). Looking to do it immediately (maybe from June), ideally week days after work (5pm onwards), and planning to finish it before Sept/Oct if possible.

Regards,

Renzo
I found it useful to buddy up with another victim. It was "informative" sitting in the back watching them mess up an approach when I could see both out of the window and what the needles were saying.

Of course the pleasure was theirs on the next leg!! :shock:
PaulB wrote:I found it useful to buddy up with another victim. It was "informative" sitting in the back watching them mess up an approach when I could see both out of the window and what the needles were saying.

Of course the pleasure was theirs on the next leg!! :shock:

very good tips :)
thanks
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not recent, but I did my CRI there 7 years ago, and have rented from them a few times since.

They are a competent, well run school with good aeroplanes. But - they are also some distance from any GA useable instrument approaches, and that is bound to be unhelpful and expensive as a fact.

For preference, I would suggest looking at schools on airfields with based approaches. Sadly that is limiting.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Not recent, but I did my CRI there 7 years ago, and have rented from them a few times since.

They are a competent, well run school with good aeroplanes. But - they are also some distance from any GA useable instrument approaches, and that is bound to be unhelpful and expensive as a fact.

For preference, I would suggest looking at schools on airfields with based approaches. Sadly that is limiting.

G

Thanks GtE, so within reasonable distance I think only Oxford, Cranfield and Cambridge have got instrument approach, any recommendation for schools in these airfields ? or other airfield that I might have missed from short list?
By johnm
I did my IMCR at the West London Aero Club at White Waltham, As I remember they were able to use Benson and Odiham for practice approaches and it's still offered on their website.
By Genghis the Engineer
renzokuken wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Not recent, but I did my CRI there 7 years ago, and have rented from them a few times since.

G

Thanks GtE, so within reasonable distance I think only Oxford, Cranfield and Cambridge have got instrument approach, any recommendation for schools in these airfields ? or other airfield that I might have missed from short list?

Azure flying club at Cranfield have a couple of okay PA28s and some decent instructors on tap (one of whom I did my IMC with some years ago and is still instructing). The problems with Cranfield are well documented - we keep being promised a solution, but we don't know if that solution is *really* happening yet.

With GPS and NDB approaches on both runways, and an ILS (when it's working) on 21, Cranfield can be a very good place to do IMC training.

G