For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I hadn’t actually thought that response out with the expectation of a thumbs up (thanks Kanga).

I didn’t mind, and kinda looked forward to (a bit), being tested - whether as a Scout, Cadet, scuba top safety diver/rear end monitor, endurance event organiser blah blah.

Admittedly, probably my (Belgian) kids “cold response” will never be what mine is. I know how far I can push my body and the “graceful shutdown” it goes through, the importance of good kit and training, buddy systems, recovery procedures and kit close by etc etc. For me it was a “walk in the park” to get into hypothermic conditions. I also grew up being bliddy cold *all the time*.

I can (try) to teach my kids, and certainly some of my Scout charges the misery of cold survival - just not sure they’ll appreciate the experience :oops:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:"Could you feed and clothe yourself and keep yourself warm, without recourse to shops?"

Gosh no.

I wouldn't know where to get the seeds to grow things if not from the seed shop, and then it would take an awful long time before I saw any return in food even if I did have enough land, which I don't.

As for getting cotton seeds and then making spinning and weaving equipment without any shop bought tools....

OCB wrote:rear end monitor

Sounds like a strange activity.
johnm liked this
OCB wrote:rear end monitor

Paul_Sengupta wrote: Sounds like a strange activity.

Indeed. I'd always understood it was hamsters

Rob P
Dive or climb lead: the one that gets all the credit.

The other one at the back, who generally is a lead, but takes the inglorious position of making sure no waifs or strays get into harm.

It’s just me, my character is better suited to leaving the shiny stuff to others, but I’ll always be there in the background to make sure things go alright. :oops:
The key skill for humans is the ability to work with others. It’s what distinguishes us from other animals. If enough people join with you, and collaborate, a lot can be achieved.
Make our youngsters socially skilled. The rest follows from that, food, shelter, safety, progress.
johnm, kanga, JoeC and 3 others liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I second (or third) lighting a Tilley/Primus/ Blowlamp (still used a paraffin blowlamp until recently, had one for my birthday, whilst still at school (left at 15)...so I could burn-off and paint the outside of the house/shop!

Great fun to get up and running and a primaeval satisfaction in the burbling flame with it's warmth and light.

A pole-lathe ! simple to set up, a great tool to show how turning is accomplished. I remember youngest son making cubes on my newly- acquired lathe (Ironically,cast-out from a school "modernisation")

When son suggested that a lathe was useful for that, the "Technology" teacher ridiculed him, -until he fished them out and said "What do you think these are , then ?"

So many unworldly, naive" teachers " about nowadays and despite the Government's drive to belatedly recruit mature people who have "real-life" experience, it won't survive as long as staff are busy ticking boxes and achieving pointless, irrelevant targets.......Volunteering used to fill that gap, both my boys went to Cubs. would I jump through all the hoops to do it again? NO
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:The key skill for humans is the ability to work with others. It’s what distinguishes us from other animals.

Hmm? Have you not seen a colony of ants or a pack of hyenas? :D

They have a fairly narrow skill set . Not yet built a civilisation despite quite a head start.
Jim Jones wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:The key skill for humans is the ability to work with others. It’s what distinguishes us from other animals.

Hmm? Have you not seen a colony of ants or a pack of hyenas? :D

They have a fairly narrow skill set . Not yet built a civilisation despite quite a head start.

Anyone else having a Douglas Adams moment???
kanga, Jim Jones liked this