Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
G-BLEW wrote:Enjoy Nars', it won't take long!

Where next?

Ian

If you think Narsassuaq won’t take long try Kulusuk, although by the time you leave Kulusuk you may end up with more future siblings than you wish for, the blood line is kind of lacking :lol:
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lockhaven wrote:

Where next?

Ian

If you think Narsassuaq won’t take long try Kulusuk, although by the time you leave Kulusuk you may end up with more future siblings than you wish for, the blood line is kind of lacking :lol:

Kulusuk does have its own charms. Like Narsarsuaq, once you’ve seen it, you’ll never forget it.
Narsarsuaq population c 120
Kulusuk population c 55

I texted Katamarino that if he had 5 minutes to spare - he could do a complete tour of Narsarsuaq and it’s museum!
Last edited by Lefty on Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lefty
Katamarino wrote:Does anyone have recommendations to choose between Keflavik and Reykjavik for a night or two? Have never been to Iceland.

Reykjavik for sure. There is a lovely hotel just 30m from the GA parking area. Keflavik is the bigger of the two airports, but is miles from anywhere. It is also cheaper, which is why some ferry pilots prefer it (more profit).
By Lefty
Just to put into perspective, Reykjavik is the capital city. Population approx 130k. Eg about the same size as Maidenhead. Very pretty - and a good base to do some touristy stuff.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Katamarino wrote:Does anyone have recommendations to choose between Keflavik and Reykjavik for a night or two? Have never been to Iceland.

Reykjavik every time, although the main FBO there has been getting some bad customer feedback of late. I have seen recommendations for http://reykjavikfbo.is/ but have no personal experience.

If you have the time and flex in your schedule, can I suggest you head north and spend a night or two in Ilulissat?

Ian
Lockhaven liked this
G-BLEW wrote:

Reykjavik every time, although the main FBO there has been getting some bad customer feedback of late. I have seen recommendations for http://reykjavikfbo.is/ but have no personal experience.

If you have the time and flex in your schedule, can I suggest you head north and spend a night or two in Ilulissat?

Ian

Definitely Reykjavik, when I was passing through Reykjavik numerous times per month, Sven the owner of the FBO provided a first class service, not sure if he is still there though.
G-BLEW liked this
Katamarino wrote:

Where next?

Ian

Disturbingly, after Lockhaven's post, Kulusuk :lol:

And you used to only be able to reach the hotel from the airport via helicopter or fishing boat, as Kulusuk is an island and the hotel is/was on the mainland.
Wow spot the Kulusuk runway.

What is very scary, is this video was posted approx. 2 years ago and there is a huge amount of green stuff around.

When I was flying in there years ago everything was pure white even in summer time, and the runway stood out like a black sore thumb, also the ice floes stretched out over the ocean for approx. 100nm :shock:

In fact the actual physical over water bit between Iceland and Greenland was about 100nm otherwise you were over sheet ice.

By Adrian
Lefty wrote:True, but I don’t know anyone that has stayed at Kulusuk. It is usually just a 30 minute stop enroute to Reykjavik.

Those with long memories on the forum will recall Aerotech Flyer's unforgettable adventure when he landed at Kulusuk after an engine failure in the Islander, and spent several days there, escaping just before a violent storm that would probably have wrecked the aeroplane on the ground.

I spent an hour there, and would love to go back. :-)
G-BLEW wrote:

Ian

Reykjavik. But If you choose Keflavik, South air are great.

Just to put into perspective, Reykjavik is the capital city. Population approx 130k. Eg about the same size as Maidenhead.

Far more charm however...

Kulusuk also has its charms. Landed there and they opened the hotel for us. Only guests. Hotel is on the island same as airport. Nearly lost my copilot to dog sled RTA.
Katamarino liked this
BIRK for sure. And don't stay at the Natura (used to be the Loftleidir) if you are doing more than a splash, snooze and dash. Get a hotel downtown and enjoy the big city. There are a couple of Hiltons - the Canopy is new and I haven't been there yet. The Nordica is up the hill, cheaper and still walkable to the restaurants etc.
Go to the cathedral - it's lovely. There is a punk museum - apparently in a converted public lavatory! The museum of the **** is a Facebook showstopper. For good food I love the Trir Frakkar; it's down a sidestreet, pretty small and the menu reads like a Monty Python script - whale sashimi, pan fried breast of puffin, foal steak.
Don't use ACE FBO; they have been hacking everyone off for months now. There is a newer handler, I think it is run by Alma (who used to run ACE) and the regulars say it is way better and cheaper.
Katamarino liked this