For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m trying really hard to have flight shame, but I just can’t feel it. Sorry.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:I’m trying really hard to have flight shame, but I just can’t feel it. Sorry.

Well we all knew you were a shameless loafer :D
TheFarmer liked this
By Chris Martyr
akg1486 wrote:Personally, I actually am worried about the environment and I have respect for Greta in her efforts to get politicians to listen. .

I believe that everybody is far more environmentally aware these days than ever before .

All this about Greta "getting politicians to listen" is a bit of a cop-out though isn't it ? Coming over here to a country that is showing a positive and responsible attitude to bringing its carbon emissions down is easy . Also , a great publicity coup with the photos showing our MP's sitting there like a bunch of nodding donkeys .

If she really wants to hit home , she should be doing exactly the same thing . But in Beijing !

Same thing with 'flygskarm' . Notice how again , Greta goes for the easy target [i.e. the passengers] . Why not try and nail the airline executives instead ? Probably because she may just find out that most airlines actually do have a policy on future sustainability and are very responsibly looking at ways of reducing carbon emissions. But then it wouldn't be her that was the centre of attention then would it .

It is not her mission which is flawed . It's her priorities . She should be starting off from the top of the list of polluting countries and working down . Not taking the easy route and the easily earned glory that goes with it .
By paulo999
akg1486 wrote:Personally, I actually am worried about the environment and I have respect for Greta in her efforts to get politicians to listen. But I really dislike people who can't put things into perspective: they buy a cotton bag for their groceries (has to be used 20,000 times to be better for the planet than plastic bags that are disposed of properly; growing cotton takes a lot of resources), fly to Thailand and post their fake shame on social media to make amends.

I fly 30 hours or so per year, using up some 1.000 liters of 100LL. I travel very little outside that except for work. I take trams and buses when I can and drive when I have to. I don't feel ashamed and I resent those who think I should.

Your - ours - time in the air is trivial. The average hobby GA Pilot is barely making any impact.

I can imagine a time - not in my ageing lifetime perhaps - but a time when we’ll be flying electric power plant. I wish it was now. Just a whirrrr in front, rather than a 50 year old design piston thing thrashing away.
johnm liked this
By akg1486
paulo999 wrote:I can imagine a time - not in my ageing lifetime perhaps - but a time when we’ll be flying electric power plant. I wish it was now. Just a whirrrr in front, rather than a 50 year old design piston thing thrashing away.

Come visit us late summer/early autumn when we've taken delivery of a Pipistrel Alpha Electric. 8)

No: it's not a viable replacement for the Lycomings or (evironmentally better) Rotax, but it can serve as a complement for the circuit and local bimbles. The idea is also to have charging stations at two nearby airfields so one can go have a coffee. Don't ask me the details about endurance, etc.: I don't know. I'm nowadays just a member and not involved in the acquisition.
eltonioni liked this
By kanga
Chris Martyr wrote:.. Notice how again , Greta goes for the easy target [i.e. the passengers] ...

It is not her mission which is flawed . It's her priorities . She should be starting off from the top of the list of polluting countries and working down . Not taking the easy route and the easily earned glory that goes with it .

I think this may be a bit harsh on the young lady. AIUI, this started as a personal initiative on the steps of a Swedish official building (Parliament ?), every Friday. This attracted both local followers and media (mainstream and social, local then global) attention, and imitations in other countries. This in turn generated invitations from other countries, and to meet prominent people and media folk in those other countries. She has accepted some of those invitations. To questions from some of these media folk she has responded in a straightforward and articulate manner (and not in her 1st language). :thumright:

AFAIK:

a. the Chinese, Russians, Indians etc have not invited her; at least not their governments :? She can hardly be blamed for not going there.
b. she, personally, has not sought any publicity, but much has been thrust upon her; also, it seems clear, some prominent folk who have met her on their initiative have sought publicity for those meetings. :roll:

Happy, as ever, to be corrected ..
johnm liked this
By akg1486
kanga wrote:Happy, as ever, to be corrected.

I'm not going to correct you, @kanga , just confirming that Greta indeed sits outside the Swedish parliament in Stockholm on Fridays. She's not really skipping school as she's home schooled on account of a diagnosis of some kind.

Fun fact: Greta's mother is an internationally renowned opera singer who represented Sweden in Eurovision in 2009.
johnm, kanga liked this
By Chris Martyr
kanga wrote:Happy, as ever, to be corrected ..

Kanga . I'm not that brave mate . :D

But I feel that you may raise a good point here . I know from my own time there back in the 1970s that Swedish kids were a lot more politically aware than their British counterparts and apparently still are now .

I found this a bit disconcerting at first , as all my UK friends were somewhat dismissive and contemptuous of Callaghan , Heath , Thorpe ,,[can't think why ] plus all the rest of the cast .

As said earlier . I don't disagree in the slightest with her mission , just certain aspects of how she is going about it .

And I do hope that she hasn't been unwittingly head-hunted by the 'rent-a-mobbers' into figure-heading their campaign as opposed to what she was trying to do single-handedly outside the Riksdagshus in Stockholm .

I still have misgivings about certain points she is trying to make , But find myself looking back at what an obnoxious little **** I was at that age ....[ :oops: ]
kanga liked this
By kanga
40+ years as an Air Cadet instructor persuaded me that each generation of youngsters was wiser, kinder, and better informed than those before; certainly than I was at their age. :wink:

The 3 female Cadets - 2 F/Sgts and a CWO - who spoke at JAM this afternoon as part of the Women In Aviation event seemed greatly to impress the visitors. :thumright:
By Chris Martyr
akg1486 wrote:Fun fact: Greta's mother is an internationally renowned opera singer who represented Sweden in Eurovision in 2009.

Hhmmmm,,,,,now she's the kind of person I would happily discuss carbon trading with .

Certainly wouldn't give her 'noll poang' .. :D

[apologies to our Nordic friends . My computer isn't intelligent enough for them extra 3 letters... :oops: ]
By Chris Martyr
akg1486 wrote:Fun fact: Greta's mother is an internationally renowned opera singer who represented Sweden in Eurovision in 2009.

So how's mum going to fulfill her international engagements now then ??

Now that Greta's forced her into going everywhere on the bloody train.... :D
By eltonioni
She just needs to avoid getting caught.

Oops