Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
What exactly does "not having the appropriate licence" mean ?

EASA PPL but FAA CPL ?

No licence at all ?

No Type Rating for the jet in question?

The article is somewhat lacking in detail.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
James33 wrote:What exactly does "not having the appropriate licence" mean ?

EASA PPL but FAA CPL ?

No licence at all ?

No Type Rating for the jet in question?

The article is somewhat lacking in detail.

Agree. The report is useless as it labours the sensationalist aspects but doesn’t give any context. He is clearly a fairly competent ex RAF pilot, who has been flying the Falcon (apparently successfully) for quite a few years, so I would suspect that his infringement was probably not very significant.

I wonder how he was caught? Was he ramp checked, or did someone dob him in?
By Genghis the Engineer
matthew_w100 wrote:I imagine that the "and forging documents" was the aspect that triggered the Authorities to take a dim view.

Reading the piece, that was the point I lost sympathy.

Licencing is a complete pigs ear these days, and I suspect that most people at some point have inadvertently transgressed some rule or other.

But forgery does imply something else.

G
By Flyin'Dutch'
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:I imagine that the "and forging documents" was the aspect that triggered the Authorities to take a dim view.

Reading the piece, that was the point I lost sympathy.

Licencing is a complete pigs ear these days, and I suspect that most people at some point have inadvertently transgressed some rule or other.

But forgery does imply something else.

G

I would have thought that the licensing requirements for flying a biz jet are pretty clear cut.

Even without the forgery, no sympathy.
paulo999 liked this
By foxmoth
I would have thought that the licensing requirements for flying a biz jet are pretty clear cut

Depends on how it is operated, privately owned it can be flown on a PPL with a type rating.
By Genghis the Engineer
If he was legally constituted crew, that's what he was. A co-pilot still needs to be entirely up to speed with regard to licence, type-rating, LPC, medical. The only thing he doesn't need to be current on, as he's not PiC, is the 90 day rule.

And if in a busy life, he'd slipped one of those by a few weeks, I'd say that all he (and his employer) needed was a stern talking to. But the word "forgery" does not imply that.

G