To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are a number of posts on this Forum (and of course others) that I've read recently where Forumite A has quickly taken a dislike / offence to Forumite B's comments and a battle of words quickly erupts.
In some cases A or B offer a different explanation of their comments and it gets resolved amicably, in others it simmers and stews and never really goes away.

It got me thinking - if there was an enforced Count to 10 or cool down period between reading a post and being able to reply to it, would there be as much flouncing/snowflaking/grumpiness and being offended for the sake of being offended on the Forum ?
PaulB, AlanC liked this
By rf3flyer
MarkOlding wrote: It got me thinking - if there was an enforced Count to 10 or cool down period between reading a post and being able to reply to it, would there be as much flouncing/snowflaking/grumpiness and being offended for the sake of being offended on the Forum ?

Been guilty of that myself in the past and it's not a commendable trait. Nowadays I visit the forum not logged-in so if I want to post a reply there is an inevitable small delay in being able to do so. Next step is to write the response, read it carefully to correct my lousy typing/grammar, poor choice of words. More often than not I then back away from the post and log back out. Works for me.
MarkOlding, PaulB liked this
By PeteSpencer
I just hit the 'ignore' button on Forumite B and it all goes away instantly and long lastingly (about 2 years to date).
A suggestion by Mr Seager.
Suits me.
Caveat: This method does not work for big egos who must have the last word, but works perfectly for the 'just walk away' camp.

Peter :lol:
townleyc liked this
By Rob P
^^^^^ But do remember you have to PM the ignoree to make certain they know they are being ignored and then frequently take a sneaky peek at their posts. :lol:

Rob P
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
In some cases A or B offer a different explanation of their comments and it gets resolved amicably, in others it simmers and stews and never really goes away.

If only there was an infuriating example close to hand…

Ian
PaulB, MarkOlding, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By JonathanB
PeteSpencer wrote:Caveat: This method does not work for big egos who must have the last word, but works perfectly for the 'just walk away' camp.
G-BLEW, PeteSpencer liked this