For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB

Curious to know what you’d need to be aware of if you spotted one of these in Antwerp or Brussels, and soon Ghent.

No cheating and checking on google etc – honest answer, if you were driving in from NL, DE, FR or Lux or whatever and decided on the spur of the moment to pop in to do a bit of sightseeing or shopping with your European (but no Belgian) registered car.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Assuming both signs are reproduced correctly, they both mean "Vehicles with emissions are prohibited" - i.e. Electric Vehicles only. If the left hand sign is actually a red ring, then it means you have reached the end of an EV-only zone .
By OCB
Anyone else recently driven in or around the Capital of Europe (aka the city of baby cabbages), or ‘Twerp?

I’ve kicked off a tiny complaint with the Belgian authorities over what I see as “typically Belgian” administrative nonsense.

I genuinely need folks to have a look at the signs and reply honestly how they would react if/when they come across them.

*Disclosure:
I am using you lot as a representative sample of old pharts who are also a bit foreign, but represent the typical bod who happily drive around Europe.

Without compromising the conclusion, I see an issue with certain legislation that puts the onus on the citizen, whereas it should be managed centrally and definitely not left to local (as in town level) legislation.

Yep, I’m a political geek...and actually digging my teeth into a subject I’m passionate about: clean air and the role of vehicle emissions.
By Colonel Panic
I feel for Antwerp residents - the ring road system is a complete shambles - not helped by the "improvement" works - and like Rome, all roads seem to lead to Antwerp. If you are heading to much of Northern Europe you seem to have to go through it.

PS AIUI, there is also a minimum speed limit on Belgian motorways / the JFK tunnel - Haflingers are verboten.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
IIRC Antwerp have put in a Low Emissions zone, and you need to have pre-bought a pass. No idea where you get them from though.

Paris (& Lyon?) is similar with their Crit-Air permits.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Left - end of low emission zone
Right - start of low emission zone

Who and what the low emission zone is and whether my car qualifies - who knows. Foreigners exempt?

If you don't pay the Dartford charge they send you a fine but in the small print it states that if you did not know the rules just pay the 2 quid and 1.50 admin fee and all is forgiven.

Don't ask me how I know!
Colonel Panic liked this
By johnm
Low emissions zone just like Londinium, you need to know whether your vehicle meets the latest standards or not and there's a series of them. If relatively recent petrol (less than 10 years old) , no problem, if diesel or older, homework needed. I won't post the links yet....
By stevelup
Car wise pretty much everything except dirty diesels (< Euro 1) are exempt but you must register (for free) or face a fine.

The registration lasts for three years (Brussels) and for an indeterminate time but at least until 2027 in Antwerp.

Ghent becomes effective in 2020 and you can’t register yet.
By OCB
Yeah Pete, but here’s the rub.

Brussels has put a LEZ in place .
As has Antwerp.
Ghent is next, and many parts of Wallonie will do the same.

These are entirely local legislation- but apparently covered by EU legislation.

Since 1 April, ANPR is in place, and if you drive into “Brussels Region”, you will be fined 150 euro minimum- if you haven’t already pre-registered.

If your vehicle is 100% compliant with LEZ, if you haven’t pre-registered, you get fined 150.

If you haven’t pre-registered and the vehicle is 20 + years old, expect to be hit with 350–>1000 euro fines.

Welcome to Belgium!
By johnm
These are entirely local legislation- but apparently covered by EU legislation.

The LEZ is one way cities can seek to meet EU air quality standards. The decision to set them up and the way they are administered is a purely local matter.