Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
After months of searching, I’ve finally found a supplier of superbly cost-effective hangars, and of good quality too, that meet all reg’s ratings etc.

There are lot a of companies out there charging a lot of money for what is effectively a general purpose agricultural shed with decent clear open span of 40 feet. They seem to clock on to the fact it’s for something with wings and then double the price, or worse.

I’m out and about today and I’ve just bought a brand new hangar that will be going up in a couple of weeks time and it’s the following spec.

Red oxide steel portal frame.
40 foot clear open front.
30 feet deep
12 foot high to eaves/base of gable end.
Juniper green cladding for back and sides, and top gable end.
Cladding roof.
Skylights
No door (it has its back to the weather)
No floor (I can do that with hard core)

All in all, it came in at £5k. A superb price for a decent sized hangar. The next best quote was 30% more.

If anyone’s interested, drop me a PM and I can supply contact details.
Last edited by TheFarmer on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lockhaven, neilmurg, seanxair and 6 others liked this
By Rob P
mikehallam wrote:Can't see how to PM you for Hangar maker info.

Click on Farmer's snowflake avatar
Click on speech bubble bottom right of pop-up

Rob P
By TheFarmer
Ive had over 10 PM requests for details, so rather than reply to them all (sorry to appear rude), I’m going to just post the company website details below.

They’ve said they’re happy for me to do this.

They’re a family firm, and very helpful. Ask for Michelle and she will help you out.

It is a superb price and I’m thinking of building more hangars now. At £150 pcm hangarage charge, that’s payback in under three years. And two little aircraft would mean payback in 18 months.

It’s a no-brainer.

http://www.kitbuildingsdirect.co.uk

Tel: 01283 735522
Sooty25, Dave W, faroligo liked this
By GolfHotel
I see from the web site that they offer an erection facility as well. But I'm not going to mention it so @Rob P stays quiet.

@TheFarmer will you be adding electricity and WiFi so folks can get their GPS and moving maps updated before flight?
Rob P, Ben K liked this
By Charliesixtysix
GolfHotel wrote:@TheFarmer will you be adding electricity and WiFi so folks can get their GPS and moving maps updated before flight?

I am sure that you are already well aware of this GH but sadly that can easily double the cost of a hangar (or more) as it can again in getting rid of Rob's hardcore material and erection... :shock:
:wink:

defcribed wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:At £150 pcm hangarage charge

Whereabouts are you?

As always, I am interested to see if people think that is too cheap, about right or too expensive for farm strip hangarage?

It seems to be about right for good quality hangarage (i.e. with floated concrete floor and Wifi/electricity) in the East Midlands for an average sized two seat SEP - bit more for a larger aircraft, a bit less for a single seater aerobatic biplane.
GolfHotel liked this
By Rob P
Charliesixtysix wrote:.... that can easily double the cost of a hangar (or more) as can erection and getting rid of Rob's hardcore material ...

There, fixed that for you. :)

Rob P
Charliesixtysix liked this
By PeteSpencer
The ‘other hangar’ adjacent to but not on our strip pays their farmer landlord £500each per year Four aircraft in hangar , roof leaks like a sieve no power or water.

In addition they pay us c£400 p a each per pilot depending on number of users and non-declared welshers using the aircraft for use of the 800m well drained grass airstrip

So approx £900 per pilot for strip/hangarage. No landing charges: grass cut by the mugs at the other end.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon May 13, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
PeteSpencer wrote:
In addition they pay us c£400 p a each per pilot depending on number of users and non-declared welshers using the aircraft for use of the 800m well drained grass airstrip

Peter

Hi Pete

What is the rational for charging per pilot?

One sole owner may use the strip more than a 4 person syndicate with people who are busy with non-flying.