Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Pmdl
Is the IMC (IRR) endorsement still worth doing?

Should I start my training now or does it lapse soon.

I have heard all sorts of rumours on the topic.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IMHO:
yes;
up to you - it was due to cease being available from April 2019, but this is to be extended to April 2021;
By johnm
I would definitely do it. It's an excellent start point for Instrument quals you can use and if it ceases to be available or is superseded you'll have grandfather rights.
By A le Ron
I can't see any reason for not doing it
By Mr.Meerkat
rikur_ wrote:IMHO:
yes;
up to you - it was due to cease being available from April 2019, but this is to be extended to April 2021;

Really? Yas! My plan of getting it this summer will most likely be a-okay then :D

Time to find out if BIFM needs IR/ATPL theory credits or not. If not, I'll get myself both an IMC rating and BIFM cert this summer.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Regardless of future rating validity and grandfather rights etc, the IR(R) training will make you a better, safer, more confident pilot.

Highly recommended!
johnm liked this
By T67M
The IR(r) also allows you to fly IFR OCAS, which means you can legally fly closer to clouds under the SERA rules above 3000'. Without the IR(r), you have to stay 1000' below the cloud, or have ~2nm gaps between the clouds.