Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ConcordeBA
Having not flown since early January, it was time to check if I was legal to fly. PART-FCL and the 90 day rule applies. Here is a quick insight into what I did before those all important 90 days have lapsed. To confuse matters even more, the aircraft insurance requires me to fly every 60 days, otherwise I must fly with a suitably qualified instructor.

Enjoy as I fly the circuit! This keeps my license current to carry passengers and also current per the aircraft insurance.

Having completed some solo work, it was time to recap on the VOR DME ARC into London Biggin Hill Airport. I bring along a very well trained pilot with thousands of hours instrument flying experience for the occasion. It's clear from this video, that my flying really does need improving if I am going to have any chance of success with such high standards for the EASA Instrument Rating.

Points to note from this flight to make a significant improvement for the next IFR flight are, radio-telephony, altitude keeping, instrument panel scan and general awareness.

The chart for reference for this procedure is available on the NATS AIP: AD-2-EGKB-8-2 as of 8 NOV 2018. I am however using up-to-date Jeppesen charts during the flight via the iPad and Kneeboard.

Once you have landed at Biggin Hill, you have access to the Pilot Lounge which is on the far left handside as you walk into the terminal. It has free drinks and snacks available. This is worth it considering you also get 2 hours free parking and includes a landing fee and instrument approach. Very good if you are utilising your rating or diverting due to weather or other reasons. If you are on a training flight, such as an IRT or IR(R) test then you'd be expected to pay the training fee for the approach.

Having paid the current fee for Biggin Hill it was time to depart back. A fairly busy departure from Biggin Hill. We realise how awful the visibility is and discuss the wrong kind of trousers a pilot should wear ;)

This rather short flight brings my total hours flown to 200. I briefly discuss doing my CB-IR on this aircraft, and what upgrades may appear in the future to the cockpit.

After a relatively short 20 minute VFR flight we land into Stapleford after a long day of flying. Next stop for me Bournemouth...

By defcribed
Robbie, not sure what you mean about 'legal to fly' and the 90-day rule?

The 90-day rule is related to carrying passengers.

To fly you simply need to have a valid licence, rating and medical. There are no currency requirements.
By akg1486
defcribed wrote:Robbie, not sure what you mean about 'legal to fly' and the 90-day rule?

The 90-day rule is related to carrying passengers.

To fly you simply need to have a valid licence, rating and medical. There are no currency requirements.

This is what he says above:
This keeps my license current to carry passengers and also current per the aircraft insurance.
ConcordeBA liked this