Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

t1m80 wrote:The rate you're cracking on you might beat me to it :-)
What stage are you at now :-) I'm away for two weeks over Easter so trying to get as much/as many in as I can before then., Got two booked in for this week. Also every chance fund's will run out or slow me down more than I'd like. Role on pay rise day 1st April lol!!

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm 39 hours in and should be doing first solo land away in 2 lessons time. Unfortunately It's been that way for a while now as I've been subject to weather and instructor unavailability. I have been booking 2 lessons a week for about 7 months now and have not even managed to get average of 2 a month. :-(. Still, progress is progress and I've learnt an additional skill that I never had before - patience :0).
Area Rule Pi wrote:
Wicksay wrote:I shared in my post "When's it too late..?" that I want to become a commercial pilot. It's a deliberate career change choice based on wanting to realise a boyhood wish. So I've decided it really is now or never.

Hello W.,

According to the information I just received on this board, you will be going through a very slow process and progressing through low performance aircraft.

All the best with your endeavor and I'm sure you will end up happy and satisfied. Enjoy the journey! :)

According to my info I'll need an additional 50hrs Pic after my ppl before I can start my twin rating. A syndicate seems the best option to achieve that along with additional SEP ratings using the club aircraft.

My hope is the journey to 200hrs pic is reached when I'm 55. That gives me 3.5 yrs to get there and hopefully 10+ yrs flying commercially (to me that means any type of flying that renumerated me.) My role model is my own Instructor at Headcorn who is into his 70s and teaches SEP and MEP (at LYDD).

Rob P liked this
Cloudbase too low today to consolidate my solo. So I did some IMC flying. Idefinately need to update my glasses with my new prescription. Scanning the instruments for 30mins was intense. But I seemed to cope OK.

MachFlyer liked this
By Wicksay
One thing that threw me was the re join downwind. We approached from 4 miles out from the SE for RW 28. There was one other plane from the N about the same distance out. We were at 1200. Once we located our position to the airfield and made a radio call we were going to fly up parallel with downwind and make a 180 to join downwind and imeadiately turn left base.

My instructor wasn't expecting me to fly the perfect circuit but I was except I hadn't prepared the order of events in my mind and was behind the situation and aircraft until I was established on final and made my radio call.

The instruction on base from my instructor to 'start doing things' was just the prod i needed and thank fully I got most steps in the right order and made a half decent landing.

All in an hours cloudy flying.. :-)

Can't wait til next time but I'll have to as I'm off to Portugal for a couple of weeks.

Wicksy

By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I managed to finally get 1 hr 20 mins in the long book today. Nav exercise Rochester => Hastings Pier => Maypole Farm and back. Absolutely overjoyed and didn't make a total pigs ear of it :-). Landing was a bit 'robust' but haven't flown for 5 weeks and haven't flown this plane since November.

Still smiling and, hopefully Saturday, will bring a crossing of the Southend CTA and some 'intense' radio. Bring it on!

Have a nice holiday Lee; still intend to get down your patch sometime so pm me when you get back and we can try and get that long overdue coffee.