Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Cole Burner
Having recently retired from airline flying I am slowly getting to grips with adjusting my licence and ratings to GA flying. I hold an UK issued EASA ATPL(A)/CPL(A)/PPL(A) with Class 1 medical and have moved my old SEP(Land) back onto the front page. The other ratings on the front page are 'Big Airbusses' (not a lot of use anymore!) Night and Instrument.

I don't particularly want to retain a full IR but an IR(R) could be useful. The question is what do I need to do to get there? Presumably an Airbus IR/LV/PBN :wink: does not count? I am comfortable with flying SEP imc including all the approaches and limited panel etc; am I credited with the exams as an ATPL holder? Last did those about 30 years ago :) I have more day/night/imc/vmc hours than I care to admit to.

Having always had a friendly Examiner and Training Dept to sort this out I am now a bit in the dark! Any pointers - this must be a well worn path?
By Balliol
Its all pretty easy - if your last Airbus IR was within 5 years you are credited training course and ground exam, you just need to pass the IR(R) skills test. Feel free to PM me if I can help.
By oldbiggincfi
Somebody once told me if I had a UK National ATPL a IMC rating was embedded .
Is this true and if so how does this still work ?

Another case for keeping a National Licence current -
maybe ?
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Your UK national licence is limited to the privileges of a LAPL holder in an EASA aircaft, rendered valid via ORS4 No.1293. Since the LAPL does not allow the addition of the IR(R) or IR, then you're limited to VFR only in EASA aircraft when using a national licence.

There are some non-EASA aircraft now approved for IFR including a number of LAA Permit to Fly aeroplanes, so under ANO Schedule 8 you would be able to exercise the full privileges of your national licence in those. National regulations are worded such that the privileges of a UK non-EASA CPL and ATPL include privileges comparable to an embedded IMC rating.

Cookie
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Its all pretty easy - if your last Airbus IR was within 5 years you are credited training course and ground exam, you just need to pass the IR(R) skills test. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

I don't think the 5 years would be applicable any more for a professional licence holder due to all licences now being valid for life. See CAP 804 Part I Section 5 Part E page 3.

An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A) or military green aeroplane Instrument Rating or a UK professional pilots licence aeroplanes within the 10 years before the date of application for the IMC Rating is not required to undergo a course of flight or ground training but must pass the Theoretical Knowledge examination and initial IMC Rating /IR (Restricted) Skill Test.

Exempt IR(R) course.

An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A) or military green aeroplane Instrument Rating or a UK professional pilot licence aeroplanes or a valid Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Ground Instructors Certificate within the 5 years before the date of application for the IMC Rating / IR (Restricted) will be credited with a pass in the Theoretical Knowledge Examination.

Exempt IR(R) TK exam.

Therefore, it's just training as required plus the IR(R) Skill Test.

However, as a professional licence holder you should have been issued with an expired IR(R) on the back of your licence when your EASA Part-FCL licence was issued, so you should be eligible for the shorter IR(R) renewal proficiency check.

Whilst your multi-pilot IR is current, another option is to renew your single-pilot IR privileges (assuming you held them previously) by IR Proficiency Check, which would then allow the issue of a IR(R) on the basis of your current IR-SPA-SE. Cross-crediting for IR Revalidation is also available whilst you're still airline flying.

More information here: An Airline Pilot's Guide to the Single-Pilot Instrument Rating

Cookie
By Cole Burner
Many thanks for your prompt replies - this may be more complicated than I expected!

At the moment I only want instrument privileges to fly a non EASA aircraft (ie on a LAA permit with night / imc approvals) not on airways / class A so I don't think I need a full IR.

My licence started out as a UK CAA ATPL/A and changed via a JAR to an EASA licence, which from your article would explain the absence of IR(R) on the reverse.

Under the "IX Validity" section it states on my licence "Non-EASA Aircraft - In accordance with and subject to the provisions of the United Kingdom Air Navigation Order this licence is valid for aircraft registered in the United Kingdom for which the flight crew member is not required to hold a Part-FCL licence". Does this mean I can use the ANO Schedule 8 embedded IMC rating you refer to, and if not...

Does my (UK CAA issued EASA) licence qualify under the CAP 804 references to "UK professional pilots licence aeroplanes" for the course and TK exemptions?

Sorry for all the questions
By Balliol
It sounds like your old UK ATPL (which should have been lifetime and hence still valid) would work with its embedded IMC privileges for your needs - however I’m guessing you haven’t kept the class rating entries live in it so that might be an issue if you don’t have a SEP on it

Your EASA licence has no embedded IMC privileges

I suspect quickest and easiest way would still be to do the IR(R) test to get it valid on your EASA licence