Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Dman
Coming up to my mid fifties and finally have the time and money to do something I have always wanted to do
Learn to Fly
Just wondering if maybe I have left it to late?
Still fairly fit ( I am a Farmer)
Brain still in there somewhere
Memory not as good as it once was, but can still remember who`s round it is.

Also
any recommendations in county Durham for flying schools

Cheers
By PaulB
If you want to fly commercially, it may be a stretch, but as a hobby, then no you haven't left it too late, in fact you'll fit right in!

(Welcome by the way.... I found this forum tremendously useful when I was learning!)
Dman liked this
By lobstaboy
Definitely not too old for hobby flying so long as you have no medical issues that would preclude you driving a car, or mental health issues.
Find a few local flying schools (including those flying fixed wing microlights) and go and visit them and talk to people at them - both staff and customers. This will help you to get the feel of things and help you to decide whether it's for you or not.
I think the oldest student that I have taught was in his mid-70s when he qualified, by the way. It'll take a bit longer than younger people, but you won't mind that if you aim to enjoy the training rather than see the licence as the end point (you carry on learning after you've qualified).
Dman liked this
By PaulB
Will the current issue of” Flyer” magazine in the shops still have the “learn to fly” supplement?

If it has, it’s probably worth getting for the list of flying schools alone.
Dman liked this
By Dman
lobstaboy wrote:Definitely not too old for hobby flying so long as you have no medical issues that would preclude you driving a car, or mental health issues.
Find a few local flying schools (including those flying fixed wing microlights) and go and visit them and talk to people at them - both staff and customers. This will help you to get the feel of things and help you to decide whether it's for you or not.
I think the oldest student that I have taught was in his mid-70s when he qualified, by the way. It'll take a bit longer than younger people, but you won't mind that if you aim to enjoy the training rather than see the licence as the end point (you carry on learning after you've qualified).

Looked at fixed wing microlight
But I am 6`4"
And maybe just over the maximum weight for these aircraft
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A good friend of mine didn't learn until he was seventy, and had eighteen good years flying until he decided that neither he not his hearing were sharp enough to fly safely in command any longer. At ninety, he'll still come along and fly in the right hand seat though, he's a very useful autopilot!

Go for it now, and the chances are you'll never regret it.
PaulB, Dman liked this
By David Wood
My oldest student was a 76 year old retired lorry-driver. He worked hard at it, struggled occasionally but it was a huge pleasure to send him off on his first solo. It's never too late.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Not too old to learn by far.

May take a bit longer but as learning is as much a joy as having the ticket that should not be an issue.

If you want to learn to be instructor later on and train others then that is not a problem either as there are many instructors who are a bit more mature and wise who do an excellent job and earn (some!) money by doing so.

Going fully commercial and expecting to get a ROI from a CPL/ATPL may be a stretch but that has been done too!

Have a great time!
johnm liked this
By WGN
Just a silent lurker but saw the words farmer and thought I'd link these farmers weekly stories if thats allowed?;

1 - https://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/flying- ... amaraderie

2- https://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/microli ... nefits-fun

First is about the Flying Farmers Association and the article gives an example of the sterotypical flying farmer which they say would be in there 60s.

Second is about a farmer who decided to take up microlight flying after a slipped disc stopped him from doing his original hobby of windsurfing.

Seemed relevant.
By SimFlyer
Dman, where are you located? I know you said County Durham, but could you narrow it down a bit? I'm near Darlington myself so Durham Tees Valley is closest to me and I've visited the two schools there and have signed up with one of them.

Are you looking for PPL? Or just NPPL or LAPL? There are a few other schools in the area that do PPL and if you want NPPL or LAPL, you have a bit more options too.

@PaulB, I noticed the latest version of Learn to Fly did not have up-to-date info regarding the schools in Durham Tees Valley airport or under "County Durham." In fact, they only list one school and while I'm not sure when that school went out of business, I'm sure it wasn't there in 2014 when I first started looking, so it's at least 5 years out of date! :mrgreen:
By Dman
SimFlyer wrote:Dman, where are you located? I know you said County Durham, but could you narrow it down a bit? I'm near Darlington myself so Durham Tees Valley is closest to me and I've visited the two schools there and have signed up with one of them.

Are you looking for PPL? Or just NPPL or LAPL? There are a few other schools in the area that do PPL and if you want NPPL or LAPL, you have a bit more options too.

@PaulB, I noticed the latest version of Learn to Fly did not have up-to-date info regarding the schools in Durham Tees Valley airport or under "County Durham." In fact, they only list one school and while I'm not sure when that school went out of business, I'm sure it wasn't there in 2014 when I first started looking, so it's at least 5 years out of date! :mrgreen:

I live near Sedgefield
I think there is only 1 school at Teesside airport now, Eden Flight training.
Also a fixed wing microlight school at Peterlee ( Shotton airfield)
Was really looking recommendations, the one at Teeside has an offer at the moment for a Zero to Licence for £6900 for a 4 seat PA28