Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lockhaven
What are people using these days for kneepads in GA aircraft considering the use of iPads, size, weight, shape, cockpit size, practicality of use etc.

I am considering buying something like these if I can find anyone who hasn't run out of stock in the UK, but would like to hear from those using similar products.

Sporty's Flight Gear HP Tri-Fold KneeboardImage
Sporty's Flight Gear HP iPad Kneeboard
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seeing as how as what my iPad goes on the yoke, I'm still using the same old Airtours bifold kneepad from when I started PPL in 1992.

Has has two changes of legstrap elastic/Velcro in the interim.

Peter
By GrahamB
Large format iPad Pro resting on my lap, running in dual screen mode. SD in the left hand window, GoodNotes on the right hand side for my fuel log and scribblings with an Apple Pencil.
PaulB liked this
By Melanie Moxon
After much pontification I bought one of these as I wanted something compact for the firefly:

https://www.flyboys.com/fb1316.html

it has been really good so far and has a long pen size pocket on the left with an internal flap so you can safely stow your pen/pencil when you want to go upside down and the eyelets are great for fastening a checklist/charts to as well.

I can't see me using anything else other than a velcro strap for a tablet on the other leg, or make one that laces into the loops :think:
By Lefty
mattmoxon wrote:After much pontification I bought one of these as I wanted something compact for the firefly:

https://www.flyboys.com/fb1316.html

it has been really good so far and has a long pen size pocket on the left with an internal flap so you can safely stow your pen/pencil when you want to go upside down and the eyelets are great for fastening a checklist/charts to as well.

I can't see me using anything else other than a velcro strap for a tablet on the other leg, or make one that laces into the loops :think:

I have to agree that is a very nice, very flexible kneeboard. They even have one that supports kack handed pilots. I did a check ride for someone that had one, and thought it was very good.

For myself, I don’t see any need to have stuff attached to my knees. I just have my iPad Pro simply resting on my knee, and an old Pooley’s A4 kneeboard to hold fuel log and paper backups of my approach plates. The A4 kneeboard lives down between the seats along with a paper chart - and they only get picked up as and when needed.
Melanie Moxon liked this
By Ridders
Oh no it’s another kneeboard thread :lol:

RAF kneeboard
Ebay, they appear occasionally.

when instructing my little ipad mini fits nicely inside/on it too.

I use a jepp one in the car, it’s got all those fold out bits for an E5B for navigating the M25 and sandwiches.
By Melanie Moxon
@Lefty I think if I were still flying the C150/172 that I trained on and transitioned to I would still be using the A4 pooleys board that I bought on eBay for the princely sum of £4 :D its just less practical in the firefly.
By Genghis the Engineer
Small and narrow cockpits, or aerobatics, RAF kneeboard

Slightly larger cockpits, not aerobatics, ASA Trifold.

Slip in my bag on trips in case I go flying and might need to take a few notes, little A6 jobby somebody gave me.

Sit in the cupboard in case it ever comes in useful, but haven't actually used since halfway through my CPL, big A4 job from some mainstream supplier or other.

Flexwing touring, A3 Flylight kneeboard.

There is no one best kneeboard in my world!

G
By Lockhaven
Thank you everyone, I have decided to try the bi-fold Sporty's Flight Gear HP iPad kneeboard due to the narrow cockpit environment, this one can folded to a single side if required and is similar to the RAF one but more available.
By Dave W
Yes, once I had read the manual and twigged that you can get to it with one swipe (rather than multiple selections via the upper left SkyDemon logo).

I use it commonly to note frequencies, clearances and pressures etc.

I use my finger - the output is a scrawl, but (on a tablet) very readable.