For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
OCB wrote:It's been the business model for tech companies for decades, no?

A fair point, OCB. I don't know that Tesla fit that tech company profile though?

I can't help but view their poor financial performance as the driver behind most decisions. I believe the major manufacturers are biding their time. A takeover has to be the most likely outcome.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't think a lack of dealers is going to make the purchasing experience any carpier than it already is.

A colleague was considering getting one. It took three attempts contacting his local dealer before anyone got back to him, and even then, it was out of the question to arrange a proper test drive - all they would offer was the usual crappy 20 minutes round the block thing with a salesperson sat in the car.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Leodisflyer
Leeds Tesla are in an industrial area, but right next to the motorway. A test drive takes you up the M621 which, before you get to the M62, isn't too bad for a run out and gives a good opportunity to try out the autopilot.

They must get a lot of tyre kickers though as they don't seem to have much expectation of a sale.
By stevelup
I'm sure all car dealers get tyre kickers. Part of the skill set required is to carefully weed out the wheat from the chaff...

But Tesla have a blanket policy as far as I can tell whereby they do not do unaccompanied test drives, and certainly not long-term ones over a weekend for example.
By Leodisflyer
See what you mean.

I've had 5 Audis, starting from when the sales person handed me the keys and told me to go out and enjoy myself. If Audi had got their act together and released an EV earlier, and not a £60k one, then they'd still have me as a customer from that first engagement.
PaulB liked this
By Rob P
I can't see any issue with buying cars online. I did just this in 2000, buying a Ford Puma from a dealer in Brussels (or maybe Liege)

Rob P
By Leodisflyer
The Kona is very tempting having seen one on the flesh - and it gets great reviews, plus has good range. Toying with the idea of putting an order in as they are in short supply and it will be a long wait. We were always heading toward having two EVs anyway.

AIUI you can only order them online.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
I put my name down for a Kona last night - I get the impression that they won't become available until next year though. From their email ... "Until we have visibility of supply, we cannot confirm a timeframe but you should expect it be in the region of 12 months until delivery."

That makes me an EV Place Holder x2 :oops:
By Miscellaneous
Colonel Panic wrote:That makes me an EV Place Holder x2 :oops:

Are you having second thoughts about the Tesla, CP?
By stevelup
They might have gone bust by the time they start delivering on their promise of $35k Model 3's...
By Flyin'Dutch'
stevelup wrote:They might have gone bust by the time they start delivering on their promise of $35k Model 3's...

Forever the optimist!

:D

Joking apart, you are normally very much in favour of new tech, start-ups but Tesla clearly does not float your boat.

Those that have one seem to be raving about it.

Or is that a matter of, I have waited forever and spent some serious money so I have to like it?