Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Steve France
I have a US FAA Commercial Licence, multi- and instrument. I also have an old, maybe expired, UK CAA PPL with multi- and IMC (not instrument). I am now UK resident. What do I need to do to be able to fly an N-reg in the UK?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
By nothing he means don't fly, it's simpler. Maybe plenty of paperwork to check validity of your faa paperwork with faa.
It is complicated enough for the first question to be "what type of aircraft?" rather than "do you have Sep and is your bfr current?"
By dunny
Just bumping this up with a related question if I may please.

Does a PPL with an FAA licence who wants to fly in the UK for less than 28 days in a year (in a G Reg aircraft) still have to complete form SRG2140?

I was reading this link:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/New-Guidance ... 4294967493

It appeared to suggest that this only applied to pilots flying more than 28 days in a year but I can't tell whether this is current guidance or not?

Thanks

D
By Irv Lee
condor17 wrote:Are Steve's US licences are current ?
If they are ; What are the rules about flying an '' N '' Registered a/c in UK ?
Can he use his US licence ?

rgds condor

Not simple.
From memory:
1) If the N reg is based or operated in the UK
AND
2) if the aircraft type would be an aircraft subject to EASA if G registered
Then the pilots need easa licences (or validations like the 2140 and 2142 licence check).
Otherwise if it is an N reg just flying through easa land and not based/operated here then normal icao stuff applies, or if it is not an easa type at all, then easa licences not required.
By Irv Lee
dunny wrote:Does a PPL with an FAA licence who wants to fly in the UK for less than 28 days in a year (in a G Reg aircraft) still have to complete form SRG2140?

I was reading this link:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/New-Guidance ... 4294967493

It appeared to suggest that this only applied to pilots flying more than 28 days in a year but I can't tell whether this is current guidance or not?
Thanks
D

I am pretty sure they need a 2140 which is easier than using 39 or 41, but again from memory, that April 2017 item had an addition later that year that brought in the 2142 licence check.