Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Mickey75
Hi I'm looking to convert my EASA PPL(A) to a CAA PPL(A). I'm looking to do this as I mostly fly microlights and I'm aware these will count towards the 12 hour requirement to revalidate by experience. I'm aware the CAA licence will only allow me to fly EASA aircraft until 2020.

I'm unsure how to apply for the conversion or which form(s) I need to complete.

I've looked at the CAA website and haven't yet found the answer. I'm also awaiting a reply to an email enquiry.

Before I try and call the CAA has anyone recently applied for a CAA licence on the back of their EASA one andwould be willing to enlighten me?

Many thanks.
Last edited by Mickey75 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can't help with the forms you need to complete but you don't need to "convert" the licence - what you will do is end up with both.

I also don't recommend waiting for the CAA's e-mail reply, it could be a while!
By GrahamB
I’d wait to see what happens on March 29th. You might end up with just a CAA licence anyway without doing anything.
By flybymike
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I can't help with the forms you need to complete but you don't need to "convert" the licence - what you will do is end up with both.

I also don't recommend waiting for the CAA's e-mail reply, it could be a while!

I have only heard of new format UK PPLs being issued to pilots who have previously held pre JAR U.K. licences.
Is it actually possible to obtain a new U.K. PPL based solely on an EASA licence?
By Paul_Sengupta
flybymike wrote:I have only heard of new format UK PPLs being issued to pilots who have previously held pre JAR U.K. licences. Is it actually possible to obtain a new U.K. PPL based solely on an EASA licence?

When you apply for an EASA licence initially, you can tick a box saying you also wish to have a UK licence. So it follows that it should be possible to obtain a UK licence at any point in time after obtaining an EASA licence. It may require an initial form with sections crossed out and a note saying you don't want an EASA licence as you have one already, but I don't know much about CAA forms.
By Paul_Sengupta
flybymike wrote:Ah, I thought I recalled that the box ticking exercise only applied to existing UKPPL holders who wanted to retain it in the new format.

No, existing UK PPL holders don't need to (and shouldn't) tick the box. The box is for issuing a new UK PPL as well as an EASA licence.
By skydriller
@Mickey75 As I have posted on the other thread, a UK-PPL is separate from a UK-issued EASA-PPL and you can get both issued to you from the CAA.

Regards, SD..
By Mickey75
After only around 10 working days I have received my UK PPL(A). Very happy with the quick turnaround.

I intend to fly mostly microlights in the future, I have previously completed differences training to fly microlights on my EASA PPL (A). I'm assuming I don't need to complete differences training again in order to continue flying microlights on this newly issued licence?
By FlightDek
Mickey75 wrote:After only around 10 working days I have received my UK PPL(A). Very happy with the quick turnaround.

I intend to fly mostly microlights in the future, I have previously completed differences training to fly microlights on my EASA PPL (A). I'm assuming I don't need to complete differences training again in order to continue flying microlights on this newly issued licence?

Mickey75

How did you obtain the UK PPL? What forms were involved and how much did it cost? Did you get to keep your EASA PPL?

Cheers
Dek
By Mickey75
Thanks for your reply Irv.

Dek, I completed form SRG1104 which I downloaded and printed from the CAA website. I sent the form off with colour copies of my EASA licence and passport, certified by a flight examiner at my flying club. It cost £37. I got to keep the EASA PPL.
skydriller, FlightDek liked this
By skydriller
Mickey75 wrote:After only around 10 working days I have received my UK PPL(A). Very happy with the quick turnaround.

:shock: Wow!! That was alot quicker than mine was. I waited 2+ months.

I wanted one so I would still have a British PPL after changing the State of my EASA PPL.

Regards, SD..