To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By scottish_ppl
This forum software is now unusable on my Macbook pro. Safari hogging the cpu, fans running and battery draining. Check performance monitor and the resource hog is forums.flyer.co.uk.

It's like visiting some tacky corner of the internet with grubby adverts that annoy me and put a ridiculous load on the computer.

Flyer a savvy professional media brand? Not the impression this site gives now.
Last edited by scottish_ppl on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jaycee58
My 2013 MacBook Pro isn't unusable but it definitely doesn't like the forum. I'm seeing CPU peaks of over 50% and temperatures above 60°C but it is varying quite a lot. CPU temperature drops back down to 45°C on leaving the forum. It's definitely causing serious battery drain. Unfortunately, the only cure appears to be to enable Adblock Plus on the site. I normally leave it disabled on this and a few other sites.

It could be worse...I updated my Windows PC last week for the first time in a year and it's now giving me adverts on the login page. I think I'll stick with Apple!
A le Ron liked this
By defcribed
Same. It feels like a pretty tacky part of the web now. Popups, browser hijacks, intrusive ads.

Whatever major changes you made recently in pursuit of greater revenue, I'd unmake them fairly sharpish or you'll find the tumbleweed rolling across the site. Obviously I don't have data, but it feels to me like posting volumes are down these last few weeks.
By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
*Posted on behalf of Flyer*

Firstly, thank you for your feedback - it's appreciated. At Flyer we work very closely with our partners to minimise the risk of delivering malware in any form. All of our partners operate stringent controls on creatives and ads they host on our behalf to minimise this risk to our users. We have escalated this issue to them all, but if you have any additional information, be it screengrabs, url's, etc, we would gladly share these with them. Many thank The Flyer Team'

Please PM me any of the additional info etc and I'll ensure it gets to the right place.

Thanks.
By Bob Upanddown
The ad-blockers and anti-malware I have on my PC means the forum pages load substantially faster than on Mrs Bobupanddown's laptop. All of which means that selling advertising on the forum is self-defeating for Flyer if the only way the punters have to view it sensibly is to use an ad-blocker.
By Cessna57
After I’ve been on the site for 5 to 10 minutes my iPhone or iPad start slowing down.

Apologies to all for my increased typos / bad grammar, but I then start getting an effect where the letters appear one to two seconds after they are typed.

I tend to just type and wait 20 seconds at the end for it all to catch up. Sometimes the autoconk gets things wrong, but can I really be asked to go back and correct them? Life is too short.

The upside is that I don’t spend as much time on the form as it becomes unususable.

The downside is my posts look even more like I’m an idiot than usual.

I now have a choice, install an adblocker or stop visiting.

I still subscribe to the magazine, I always considered that the least I could do.

Surely the footfall has de creased significantly lately?

Only a few of the old crops post now, it’s getting herder and harper.

I can’t believe the experience is being called a success.
By Cessna57
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Cessna57 wrote:it’s getting herder and harper.

Are you getting a bit groucho?

I just couldn’t be bothered to correct it.

I can’t believe the experiment is being called a success, but there you go.

shame really.
By defcribed
Ususable on phone now. Slows it right down almost straight away, as well as browser hijacks.

Only using it from work laptop now.
By leemoore1966
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Bit like trying to convince PAW that ADS-B OUT would be really good?
;)

Hi Dutch
On the contrary, we think ADSB is a suitable solution, we simply disagree with using ‘Morse-Code’ on 1090MHz as the data transmission mechanism

Do you anticipate any support elsewhere in Europe for general adoption of this method of transmission?

Thx
Lee
By PaulB
Back to the subject, I wouldn't describe this 2013 MBP as unusable but it does get quite hot sometimes.... only really used for web browsing - largely I use Chrome. Similar with the iMac.

The iMac is 2012 and runs Mojave. This MBP is still on whatever came before Mojave.