Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At least three aircraft targeted this week with the loss of Garmin G5s, new 8.33 kHz radios, TC instrument, and even a landing light The thieves were obviously equipped with the appropriate tools and had a very specific shopping list. All aircraft were covered and they went to the trouble of recovering the aircraft so that the crime would go unnoticed for the maximum period (some aircraft not being used often).

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:furious: :guns: :furious:
What I can't understand is how they sell these on? Even in less developed countries aircraft need paper trails. One would think it would be easier to deal in stolen parts for cars or motorcycles where nobody cares where they come from.
Hi All,

Very frustrating and upsetting morning.

Three aircraft affected which were G-BJDW, G-PDSI, and G-BPTI all parked very close to each other. Various avionics, and landing lights taken from them.

We had a report yesterday of the fence cut next to the green hangars, but could see no signs of any activity other than this. This morning one aircraft was reported, and we subsequently checked every aircraft, including those in the hangars and found the two others listed above. All other aircraft appear to be unaffected.

The covers had been reattached, so it was not obvious anything had been taken, buying the thieves some time.

We recommend anyone who visits the airport, to take the time to check their aircraft, but also to check them regularly as the quicker we identify crime, the better chance we have of catching someone.

I've asked owners for a list of equipment and serial numbers and will make public once I have this info to reduce the value of the stolen items.

Thanks,

Chris
neilmurg, akg1486, Jonzarno liked this
ChrisGazzard wrote:Hi All,

Three aircraft affected which were G-BJDW, G-PDSI, and G-BPTI all parked very close to each other. Various avionics, and landing lights taken from them.

We had a report yesterday of the fence cut next to the green hangars, but could see no signs of any activity other than this. This morning one aircraft was reported, and we subsequently checked every aircraft, including those in the hangars and found the two others listed above. All other aircraft appear to be unaffected.

The covers had been reattached, so it was not obvious anything had been taken, buying the thieves some time.

We recommend anyone who visits the airport, to take the time to check their aircraft, but also to check them regularly as the quicker we identify crime, the better chance we have of catching someone.

I've asked owners for a list of equipment and serial numbers and will make public once I have this info to reduce the value of the stolen items.

Thanks,

Chris

Are the areas were aircraft are parked not covered by CCTV ?
We have spent several thousands on new and enhanced CCTV systems in the last year. But our parking areas cover about 17 acres, and without power or network connectivity to many of those areas, it is difficult. Wireless options are available of course.

However, the thieves come during the night, wearing dark clothes, balaclavas etc, there is very little CCTV can do in those situations.
ChrisGazzard wrote:We have spent several thousands on new and enhanced CCTV systems in the last year. But our parking areas cover about 17 acres, and without power or network connectivity to many of those areas, it is difficult. Wireless options are available of course.

However, the thieves come during the night, wearing dark clothes, balaclavas etc, there is very little CCTV can do in those situations.

Stratigically positioned HD wildlife cameras, their night vision capability is excellent also have motion activated video and can be wifi enabled via 4G.
Lockhaven wrote:Stratigically positioned HD wildlife cameras, their night vision capability is excellent also have motion activated video and can be wifi enabled via 4G.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this.... A quick Google suggests brands I've never heard of sold by online "shops" I've also not heard of.
PaulB wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Stratigically positioned HD wildlife cameras, their night vision capability is excellent also have motion activated video and can be wifi enabled via 4G.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this.... A quick Google suggests brands I've never heard of sold by online "shops" I've also not heard of.

I use one of these, Bushnell 20MP Trophy Cam HD Aggressor - No Glow

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p126079-bushn ... G2H8C10dsM

PaulB liked this
Exactly, the huge cost for CCTV is the monitoring of it, essentially paying someone to watch it.

In our previous experience, even if the CCTV has adequate detection, and is able to transmit this information to a monitoring station, the police if called will only enter the site if a key holder is present. By which time the thieves are long gone.

I spoke to someone familiar with operating from Dunsfold who said they had something similar about 2 weeks ago? If anyone knows anything please get in touch as I’d like to ensure the two police teams are able to cooperate and see if any pattern can be drawn.
Sorry to hear of the thefts - miserable that they have stolen all that equipment.
PaulB wrote:

We’ve certainly used an Amazon one to try and catch the thief of our Rodent Prevention Officers’ food https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41093821 and it was good for that - we did find out who was stealing and the cats dispatched the burglar.

But seriously, for £50 the photo quality was very good both in colour and infrared, video quality perhaps not so good at 1080p, battery life excellent. Range - would be good for a doorway to a hangar but wouldn’t cover a whole car park. Wouldn’t see through balaclavas etc but would capture other information for you.
Dave W liked this
Could we incentivise a more pro-active approach from the police which targets likely culprits with a similar MO, are they already known?
Once I realised that donations to the Secret Policeman's Ball wasn't a raffle I've always been keen to contribute...
I'm reminded of the Suffolk/Norfolk arrest which led to local burglaries dropping by 50%.
Repeated patterns of illegal behaviour is increasingly risky.
ChrisGazzard wrote:Hi All,

Do any of these aircraft have details or pictures of their instrument panel on a website? Wondering if one aircraft was targeted for a specific bit of kit and the others opportunistic?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It appears that G-PDSI was hardest hit with the loss of two G5s, a Garmin GTN650, a second Nav/Com and a 330 transponder. The Other aircraft have lost an Avidyne IFD440, a 335 transponder, a further G5 and landing light, The thefts were carried out by professionals who knew what they were after and how to remove the kit and trays from the aircraft without damaging the connectors ir looms.

Iceman 8)