Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By cadoganpier
I know that's not strictly true as every day's a school day etc but I am no longer a PPL student as I passed my skills test yesterday, chuffed to bits. Onwards and upwards, going to do my single engine complex while waiting for the license to come through as I figure the more flying I can do with an instructor next to me is money well spent.
ArthurG, Colonel Panic, Paul_Sengupta and 12 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Get a few solo landaways under your belt and the do IRR. If “complex “ means variable pitch retractable then you’ll get more out of an aircraft like that with instrument qualifications.

Meantime hearty congratulations :D :thumleft:
By cadoganpier
I f I could do the IRR now I would, you need a certain number of hours on your license before you can start, and you actually have to physically have the license. I'm looking to use the time between now and getting my license issued from the CAA as productively as possible. Cheers for the congrats.
By FlightDek
Congratulations :clap:

What about a night rating? I did that after passing to get a bit more flying with an instructor to build confidence

Dek
By Morten
Passing on Valentine's day has to be special :thumright:
You will have no excuses to forget either memorable event in the future!

Great news, safe flights!

If you want to keep flying with an instructor, step across into a tail dragger! G-OFER is still at WW for example.
By Morten
And I just realised - first skills test this year. Double marks :)

Keep them coming!
By cadoganpier
Wicksay wrote:60 hrs in 12mths nice work. What's your top tip?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I’m not sure I’m qualified to give tips but what I would say is get all your exams done now, it’s a weight of your mind and it gave me a real sense of having broken the back of it. Also I watched quite a few YouTube vlogers, some of them are great and I found it really helped with RT, you just get used to hearing the jargon. Push yourself and back yourself as well, I don’t think anyone ever honestly feels ready for their first solo, but they won’t send you up if you aren’t (sorry don’t know what stage you are at), and most importantly enjoy it!.
By Wicksay
Good suggestion thank you. My Instructor seems to like tying the exams in with the flying but has also said I can take them when ever I feel prepped and ready. I'm about 2/3 hours from my solo but I'll know when he gets out. Lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
By PaulB
cadoganpier wrote:I know that's not strictly true as every day's a school day etc but I am no longer a PPL student as I passed my skills test yesterday, chuffed to bits.

Sorry, I missed this when you originally posted it... Fab news @cadoganpier - Well done!