Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Weirdjam
This maybe something that is completely frowned upon, but I'll ask anyway.

Money aside, is their any benefit in using something like sky demon to practice planning and understanding airspace etc while having lessons. Not to rely on but to help enhance understanding.

I've got half mil charts, "plates", the pooleys manuals etc. But I'm more of a practical learner.

Sure I will ask my FI also. There is a wealth of experience here.

I'm sure it's been asked before.

Thanks
Jamie

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I used it (free "light" version) to confirm my manual plogs (note that sky demon takes into account climbs so slower ground speed etc).

Ideally your instructor will go through the use of generic moving map displays during your course. If they don't offer, ask anyway!
johnm liked this
By PaulB
I didn't use it as a stude (as it didn't exist) but use it to review my post flight track against what I intended to fly - even on the shortest flights like circuits. I'm sure if I was a student today I'd want to do that.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I was doing some of my early longer distance trips in unfamilar places after getting my PPL, I used Skydemon and X-plane to 'rehearse' certain aspects of the route.
e.g. routing from Blackpool to Caernafon it's helpful to visualise : over the Woodvale ATZ, probably through the Liverpool CTA, but definitely below the Manchester TMA / flight over water / etc
It's where the 'virtual radar' part of Skydemon helpfully provides an extra dimension that's harder to visualise on charts.
PaulB liked this
rikur_ wrote:When I was doing some of my early longer distance trips in unfamilar places after getting my PPL, I used Skydemon and X-plane to 'rehearse' certain aspects of the route.
e.g. routing from Blackpool to Caernafon it's helpful to visualise : over the Woodvale ATZ, probably through the Liverpool CTA, but definitely below the Manchester TMA / flight over water / etc
It's where the 'virtual radar' part of Skydemon helpfully provides an extra dimension that's harder to visualise on charts.

Thanks guys. Rikur_ this is what I am hoping for. The 3D visualisation to support my chart reading and understanding of airspace! I fly at a school inside a MATZ and near the infamous Farnborough LARS. Plus live near Brize... so any social trips around home would be dodging interesting airspace.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk