For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Korenwolf
OK, I know no politics allowed, but this one popped into my inbox earlier and was too good not to share -

Gavin Williamson: Drone 'swarm squadrons' to be deployed by military

The defence secretary has said the specially-adapted drones could be in operation by the end of 2019.
He also warned in a speech that the UK needs a bolder and stronger armed forces prepared to use "hard power".
Labour has said the military's role on the international stage had been "completely undermined" by Tory cuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47192232

One wonders whether some bright spark saw what chaos one (possible) UAV was able to bring about at Gatwick over Xmas....and imagined what a 'swarm' do to the Russian airfields :roll:
By OCB
stevelup wrote:Seems to have had a small downgrade to twin pusher props though.

...downgrade?...or improved endurance, lower running costs - and the fact you can buy it now and operate it in 3-4 weeks depending on postal service :D

not sure if it’s true, but I remember a story about the F-117 Stealth, it got a public outing but it’s tail was covered. At the same time Airfix released a scale model kit, with the correct tail configuration...
By kanga
OCB wrote:..

not sure if it’s true, but I remember a story about the F-117 Stealth, it got a public outing but it’s tail was covered. At the same time Airfix released a scale model kit, with the correct tail configuration...

ISTR from late '50s that before the USS George Washington, the US' first SSBN, had been launched, let alone become operational, there was a detailed and allegedly accurate Revell kit available. I think questions were asked in Congress .. :)
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:... the fact you can buy it now and operate it in 3-4 weeks depending on postal service :D

RAF/FAA F-35B Initial operating Capability declared 10 January 2019.
I know it's the fashion to knock the F-35B (and Queen Elizabeth Class carriers) but I find it tiresome and out-dated now, and almost always poorly informed. Well, that's my opinion, driven by knowing quite a few people who have worked extremely hard and achieved impressive things on both programmes - which they very rarely get credit for from the public, and I think they should.

OCB wrote:not sure if it’s true, but I remember a story about the F-117 Stealth, it got a public outing but it’s tail was covered. At the same time Airfix released a scale model kit, with the correct tail configuration...

This is not correct. The DoD released the first (misleading) photo of the F-117A in November 1988. (I happened to be in the US at the time, and remember it well).
At the time, and for some time afterwards, the only kit of a "stealth fighter" was from Testors, who called it the "F-19" and which looked nothing whatsoever like the F-117A, tail configuration included.

Other (grainy) civilian photos of the F-117A were published by AvLeak about 6 months later, and showed the configuration more clearly. The first physical showing to the press and public was more than a year after that, at either Nellis AFB or Holloman AFB (can't remember) and the tails weren't covered - they couldn't be, as the aircraft appeared overhead, landed and taxyed up to the invited crowd.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Detailed photos released 3 April 1990, says this - with the first public display at Nellis AFB a couple of weeks later on 21 April (attended by more than 100,000 people).

What happened in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas. ;)

Revell did quite a good job on limited info with that tiny kit - except for the engine nozzles.
By eltonioni
kanga wrote:
OCB wrote:..

ISTR from late '50s that before the USS George Washington, the US' first SSBN, had been launched, let alone become operational, there was a detailed and allegedly accurate Revell kit available. I think questions were asked in Congress .. :)

:shock:
kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I can tell you that the cutaway view of the SSBN shown above is nothing like the internal fit out. Neither are any of the pictures showing the internals of British boats.
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:I can tell you that the cutaway view of the SSBN shown above is nothing like the internal fit out. Neither are any of the pictures showing the internals of British boats.

I suppose it may have been subtle marketing by Revellers, but US advertising doesn't usually do subtle :)

(The GW was the first Polaris boat. Obviously, I know nothing about the interiors of that or any USN or RN successors, or how different later ones may have been .. :roll: )