Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By plus7g
Rob P wrote:Meanwhile, back to the incident itself it appears the footballer died from injuries rather than drowning, according to a BBC Radio report earlier this evening.

Make of that what you will.

Rob P

Yes , I thought that interesting / strange. Would suggest that it hit the sea at very high speed. I am sure they have photos of the front of the aircraft that they haven't put in the public domain. Front seat damage/ position/firewall forward damage surely must give the best clues ( including DIs location ?
By eltonioni
Many years ago I was first on the scene within seconds of a car which hadn't taken a bend and crashed into a wall at around 70mph. Two 18YO lads had died, one had his head backwards, but otherwise not a mark, no blood, just internal trauma, both killed instantly while strapped in. The car had one corner stoved in, but it wasn't terribly banged up. Wouldn't think that a flying Malibu would need to be much above stall speed to be fatal in a CFIT, especially unrestrained people and luggage. It's the luck of the draw I guess. :(
By Rob P
I don't know the Malibu. Does it have backward facing seats in the cabin?

Rob P
By Lockhaven
G-JWTP wrote:Yes.

G-JWTP

Edit: Though any seat location is not much good if you are not wearing full restraints.

Death during an impact / crash either in a car or aircraft even with full restraint are the same, the body stops moving but the internal organs mainly the heart keep moving and detach during the sudden deceleration, of course not all the time.
Looking at how the rear of the fuselage was distorted and what might have happened to cause that and the effects upon the occupants, without any restraint, it could easily have been a broken neck.
By Stu B
Did Sala speak English, and to what standard? Would he have comprehended a message to strap in and to brace?
On a separate point, I've not seen any mention lately of more info on the origin of the two cushions found on the beach? Also, one of the news accounts (video on BBC web site interviewing French woman who found one) included a statement that she also found some plastic which "looked like part of a window surround" but I've not seen any mention of that since?
By Sooty25
Stu B wrote:Did Sala speak English, and to what standard?

wasn't the messages he sent regarding the "airplane falling to pieces" all in English?
By mo0g
Of the various options for his demise, I think the instant nature on impact is the best for his friends and family to deal with. Versus a more controlled ditching but he couldnt get out.

That does raise questions about how the pilot could not only survive the same impact in the front seats, but be conscious and physically able to get out of the aircraft. Was it mentioned whether Sala was wearing his harness/seatbelt - I thought he would have been because head & torso trauma only suggests that?