Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Some operators of unlicensed sites may remember filling in a proforma about their airfield and sending to to AIS, the cutoff date being about a year ago.
If you're wondering what happened to this information, it's tucked away in the ENR section of the AIP section 5.5 rather than being in the AD section, but there are only scant details notified in spite of the amount of information asked for eg no radio frequency, no details about runway length or direction.
I personally think this information should be in the AD section of the AIP rather than the ENR setion and it should contain more detail.
I've resurrected the thread already started in 'Red Tape and Gold Plate' to reflect this, just in case anybody's interested.
By CloudHound
Thanks for the pointer.

I contacted the section and filled in a form, so would be interested to find out what happened.
In parallel, I contacted SkyDemon and Pooleys both of whom readily agreed to put our airstrip on their site/publication.
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Any disadvantages in having a strip on Skydemon? I'm on a farm operating under the 28 day rule and while I'm happy to receive the odd visitor PPR I don't want anyone chancing it without just because I'm on the map.
However although not a choke point I'm pretty much equidistant between 2 GA fields (3nm each way) and wouldn't mind people being aware of where I am.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
seanxair wrote:Any disadvantages in having a strip on Skydemon? I'm on a farm operating under the 28 day rule and while I'm happy to receive the odd visitor PPR I don't want anyone chancing it without just because I'm on the map.
However although not a choke point I'm pretty much equidistant between 2 GA fields (3nm each way) and wouldn't mind people being aware of where I am.

Our farmstrip has been on the half mil for over 60 years as a 'disused airfield'. and suffered repeated 'drop ins'.

Since we put it on SD (thanks Tim) I guess I get about 12 PPR requests per year.From our point of view having it on CAA charts makes flight planning (VFR or IFR) much simpler.

Its certainly not in Pooleys or the aforementioned NATS document.

I guess we're fortunate in that it's in the middle of no-where with zippo facilities and most people who fly in are visiting friends and relatives.
It gives us chance to give a thorough briefing in view of our multiple noise sensitive areas close by and we haven't had a noise complaint for over 20 years.

Peter
Edit failing memory
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
By chevvron
Submission of the form was optional; if you didn't want your airfield listed then the 'do nothing' option applied.
What does seem a bit strange is that, having submitted the form with its wealth of detail about your airfield, only scant details are published in ENR 5.5 in 4 columns:-
1. Designation (ie name and Lat & long) and lateral limits.
2. Vertical limits.
3. Operator/user tel. no.
4. Remarks; activity times (elevation, type of activity).
There is no indication of longest runway, contact frequency or fuel availability .
There appears to be no way to update either by adding a 'new' airfield although as the proforma is still published, I dare say if you submit this they may include it on the next AIRAC cycle as a 'non AIRAC' amendment.
I personally think all airfields listed should be in the AD section rather than ENR, not necessarily in as comprehensive form as licensed airfields are but just with greater detail than is presently depicted in ENR 5.5 thus making the info more useful to GA pilots.
GrahamB liked this