Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By eltonioni
johnm wrote:Europe is pretty much self sufficient in a whole range of foods

I'd like to know more about this EU self sufficiency for food.

If it helps I'm happy to wander over the road into the Co-op now to see if "pretty much" all the food is from the EU. I know that they are famous for local supply chains so maybe I should try the little Sainsbury instead?
By Mike Tango
No deal in our time...
By Jim Jones
eltonioni wrote:This must have been how it was in 1938 with loads of people saying what a bad idea it would be for vulnerable little Britain to have a war with the powerful Continental power.

Economic ruin. Loss of world status. Shortages and rationing for a decade. Former ally as an enemy. A generation needed to recover some of this.

As for World War II....
By Mike Tango
eltonioni wrote:
Mike Tango wrote:No deal in our time...

Then it's war.

[ManicStreetPreachers]It’s not war, it’s just the end of love.[/ManicStreetPreachers]
By johnm
I said Europe was self sufficient in food that’s including EFTA EEA et al, but it is of course non uniform which is why largely frictionless trade is important. Europe also imports and exports food from the wider world because it can.

It’s a complex web that has been developing and consolidating for years and we’re in danger of taking a cobweb brush to it, so the spider may have quite a bit of work to do.
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:So not pretty much self sufficient in a whole range of foods? ;)

Have I lapsed into Norwegian or have you stopped understanding English. :D
By Leodisflyer
eltonioni wrote:This must have been how it was in 1938 with loads of people saying what a bad idea it would be for vulnerable little Britain to have a war with the powerful Continental power.

Just as well that were allied with other powers and, when some of those succumbed, the Americans entered the war with their economic might. That and a strategic mistake made by one of our key opponents when he turned his focus to the USSR.

Switching to aviation for a moment, there's a fun movie on Netflix, "Hurricane". It's the story of the Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain. I didn't realise that the Polish represented 20% of the RAF's strength in the Battle of Britain. 303 squadron was the highest scoring of the battle.

We lost family and I am only alive today due to a decision make by my Grandmother one night to not stay in the family shelter with her in-laws, but please let's not lose ourselves in the "plucky Britain standing alone" narrative. There was so much more to it than that. If anything WWII demonstrates the value of strong international alliances and the need to resist nationalism.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, Cowshed and 3 others liked this
By Leodisflyer
Sooty25 wrote:
spaughty wrote:If you think "it's not too difficult", or we just save the "protection racket fee", can I suggest that you find out what Michael Gove has to say on the subject of "No Deal"?

I'd rather listen to a farmer and hear about the real world!

Farmers got a lot of coverage on the Yorkshire TV news the other night. They are concerned that a no deal Brexit will wipe out sheep farming in the UK.
By Mike Tango
Sooty25 wrote:
I'd rather listen to a farmer and hear about the real world!

What, like...

Commenting on these principles, NFU President Minette Batters said: “The NFU is deeply frustrated and disappointed that nearly two and a half years after the referendum we are no closer to finding out the details of our future relationship with the EU and what trading environment we could be operating under in the future.

“It is absolutely unacceptable for agriculture to be left with this level of uncertainty. We have repeatedly said that a no-deal scenario would be catastrophic for farming, but political events have created further doubt and uncertainty. I cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting this right for farming.

https://www.nfuonline.com/news/featured ... -brexit-o/
By kanga
Leodisflyer wrote:..

Switching to aviation for a moment, there's a fun movie on Netflix, "Hurricane". It's the story of the Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain. I didn't realise that the Polish represented 20% of the RAF's strength in the Battle of Britain. 303 squadron was the highest scoring of the battle. ..

.. and the first Poles in action with the RAF were with 501(County of Gloucester) Sqn RAuxAF, before 303 was operational. They replaced 501 Sqn pilots lost in Battle of France. They were, of course, flying Gloster-built Hurricanes with Rotol airscrews. They included an 'ace in a day', Toni Glowacki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Głowacki

All, of course, illustrated in displays at JAM :wink:
johnm liked this