For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By romille
We are too busy squandering taxes on vanity projects which means the coffers are empty when it comes to funding things that might enrich the lives of ordinary folk.
johnm liked this
By Bill Haddow
[grumpy]
From the article:

Music is not an add-on, a “soft” subject or a luxury – it is absolutely essential to our existence.

I think the gentleman should have spent more time studying English. By all usual definitions of the word, music is not "essential" to our existence, and adding the word "absolutely" merely creates a tautology.

[/grumpy]

Bill H
JAFO, eltonioni liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill Haddow wrote:[grumpy]
From the article:

Music is not an add-on, a “soft” subject or a luxury – it is absolutely essential to our existence.

I think the gentleman should have spent more time studying English. By all usual definitions of the word, music is not "essential" to our existence, and adding the word "absolutely" merely creates a tautology.

[/grumpy]

Bill H

The “gentleman” is a 20 year old rising star classical saxophonist and is female, she assumes a desire for a happy existence and given her personality it would not occur to her that any other kind of existence was suitable for humans.
By romille
Sooty25 wrote:
Every child deserves the magic of music

and every parent should suffer the screech of a badly played recorder or violin!

Could be worse, my parents had to put up with bagpipes! :shock:
By Sooty25
romille wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
Every child deserves the magic of music

and every parent should suffer the screech of a badly played recorder or violin!

nobody can play bagpipes well, it is phyisically impossible!
By romille
Sooty25 wrote:
romille wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:

nobody can play bagpipes well, it is phyisically impossible!

I agree it's like trying to wrestle an octopus while strangling a cat!
Flyin'Dutch', Pete L liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I wish I did learn to play the triple barrelled blowpipe with a built in war cry. We had a guy on our boat who stood in front of the conning tower in full regalia, dirling away when going alongside in foreign ports. He got more invites to private parties and more flange that you could shake a stick at. The bas.......
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:Jess Gillam makes an important point

It's not very fashionable to blow Michael Gove's trumpet, but on this one maybe we can.

September 2014 saw the implementation within maintained schools of the new National Curriculum in England. Music as a compulsory subject is expected to be taught to and experienced by all children in Key Stages 1, Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3.

https://www.musicmark.org.uk/marketplac ... c-primary/
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:

It's not very fashionable to blow Michael Gove's trumpet, but on this one maybe we can.

September 2014 saw the implementation within maintained schools of the new National Curriculum in England. Music as a compulsory subject is expected to be taught to and experienced by all children in Key Stages 1, Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3.

A fairly standard Gove response, provide some paperwork and tick a box, but don’t trouble with details such as planning and providing the resources to actually make it happen :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:
eltonioni wrote:

A fairly standard Gove response, provide some paperwork and tick a box, but don’t trouble with details such as planning and providing the resources to actually make it happen :roll:

Hmm, that's not really fair. The article asks for a private band to be funded. Gove put music into the compulsory school curriculum up to age 14.

I'm sure that the Barracudas Carnival Band is a wonderful club but please don't make me defend Michael Gove for not doing everything for everyone that he's never heard of, or has any responsibility for. Try the Arts Council and the National Opera first.
By johnm
As you may have realised I’m not a fan of the national curriculum. It’s simple-minded tick box stuff

My kids were very lucky they got terrific music education in the 1980s and it showed me that it develops many useful skills such as team work and self discipline as well as simple joy in performing well and being appreciated by audiences. It went right through to A level in those days.

I don’t understand what’s happened, but we used to be able to fund cultural stuff in every town and city, but now we’re lucky if we get the bins emptied once a fortnight :(
By eltonioni
Its Parkinson's Law, and if the answer is "the council should do it" it's probably the wrong question.