Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By KeithM
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:Calm down, KeithM, no one is forcing you to join the Wingly scheme.

You are beginning to scrape the barrel for reasons to not like Wingly and it's ilk. :wink:

Nobody ever forces me to do anything I choose not to do, flying wise or otherwise.

If you think that telling people, in essence, “It doesn’t matter if you’re late, the pilot won’t mind” is okay, fair enough.

If you think that this is never likely to create additional pre-flight pressure, fair enough.

As for scraping the barrel, I didn’t have to scrape at all, the information is very easy to find.

As I have said, I am not totally against Wingly, nor flight sharing between pilots, nor the advertising of flight sharing between pilots.

And I am cautious about, rather than against, flying with ANY strangers, not just Wingly ones!

Wingly or no Wingly, I have a problem with the motivations involved behind anyone expecting others to subsidise the hours that they put in their logbooks.

And please note that I said “expecting”.

Of course, if you share with a fellow pilot, any purely financial incentive regarding logged hours completely disappears, does it not?

I trust that this resolves any confusion or misunderstanding.
Last edited by KeithM on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobstaboy wrote:Instructors take strangers flying all the time. It's pretty scary when they lose their cool and grab the controls in a vice like grip and refuse to let go.
It's happened to me once.
That's why I think Wingly is a bad idea.

I’ve had that experience. High wind speed and turbulence at the inversion layer boundary on a night training flight. We got a call to say a police helicopter was passing a couple of thousand feet below.

Instructor asked me to turn and then start a descent to get out of the turbulance. Yoke felt frozen. Looked to my right and the insructor’s knuckles had gone white.

Great instructor BTW.
lobstaboy liked this
Lockhaven wrote:Well the concept of cost sharing flights didn't last in the USA, it was closed down by the FAA for many of the same concerns being expressed on this forum.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... rns-remain

That link has the quote that Emeric de Waziers, co-founder of Paris-based Wingly "does not relate Wingly flights to air-taxi flights as pilots are not making a profit, just offsetting the cost of a flight they would do anyway" even though in many cases where they advertise they would NOT be doing the flight anyway?
TractorBoy, KeithM liked this
KeithM wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Dear God :roll: , I hope the weather improves soon and we can all get out flying again....

Peter :wink:

Just took a look at tomorrow’s forecast and then booked an aeroplane.

Retirement sure has advantages.

I’ll be thinking of you all!

:)

We’ll see you up there. I should think 90% of this forum is retired......
KeithM liked this
Dominie wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Well the concept of cost sharing flights didn't last in the USA, it was closed down by the FAA for many of the same concerns being expressed on this forum.

That link has the quote that Emeric de Waziers, co-founder of Paris-based Wingly "does not relate Wingly flights to air-taxi flights as pilots are not making a profit, just offsetting the cost of a flight they would do anyway" even though in many cases where they advertise they would NOT be doing the flight anyway?

Just had another quick look at the Wingly site. 18 trips advertised to Le T. All are "flexible" dates. i.e they have no plans to go but will make the trip if anyone wants to sign on.

Love one - it's a Seneca III from Blackbushe - advertised as 50 mins each way

2 passengers - 335 quid each (670)
3 passengers - 253 each (759)
4 passengers - 203 each (812)

Just a quick browse shows Seneca III hired out at 375 an hour. So not paying an equal share and not a flight they were going to make anyway.

The site is littered with ads like this.
Lockhaven liked this
Another corker

North Weald to Le T, 3 seats Cirrus SR 22 T - £301 per person.

Now I have no idea how much a Cirrus SR 22 T costs to hire but I'm guessing its not 500 per hour. But that's not the best bit. The pilot has 160 hours total flight time, and 160 hours on that aircraft.

I'd love to have done my PPL course in a Cirrus SR 22 T!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
TractorBoy wrote:
Dominie wrote:

Just had another quick look at the Wingly site. 18 trips advertised to Le T. All are "flexible" dates. i.e they have no plans to go but will make the trip if anyone wants to sign on.

Love one - it's a Seneca III from Blackbushe - advertised as 50 mins each way

2 passengers - 335 quid each (670)
3 passengers - 253 each (759)
4 passengers - 203 each (812)

Just a quick browse shows Seneca III hired out at 375 an hour. So not paying an equal share and not a flight they were going to make anyway.

The site is littered with ads like this.

I think they are paying an equal share. Just add one to each of the number of seats (for the pilot) then repeat your sums. 3x335; 4x253; 5x203.
Seems very legit to me.