Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aaron Fahr wrote:Well, that was quick.

Yes, I am current in my flying and have the hours etc.

Sir Morley. I am afraid I cannot make it in April, I was thinking more along the lines of summer.

Thanks Newbie, I shall take a look.

A le Ron. Can you tell me where he is based please?

Anyone else? I was hoping to make a list and do my homework from there.

Looks like I will be doing on in July as well now as I already have a student.
By Lockhaven
Aaron Fahr wrote:
cotterpot wrote:If you give us an idea about the area you would consider/travel to, we won't waste your time with irrelevant ones.

Sorry, yes. I should have said. Anywhere in the UK really. I would probably take it on as a full time course so no need to be near home.

I believe they conduct quite a number of different courses at High Wycombe airfield from PPL to CPL including Instructor courses, I have no personnel experience of being on a course there but have heard from a few that have, might be worth a couple of phone calls.

http://www.wycombeairpark.co.uk/commerc ... tor-course
scd975 liked this
By Flintstone
I wouldn’t mind getting back in to instructing but I’m not convinced that it would pay its own way, let alone make me any money.

In the past I’ve not done so because I didn’t feel comfortable taking hours from those instructors who needed them. Now there’s apparently a shortage but it has the risk of me running at a loss.
By PaulB
The decision is an easier one for you than for someone who would have to commit to CPL TK as well. (There' it's not necessarily the financial aspect, but the time one.)
By Flintstone
True dat. Another concern would be getting enough students to remain ‘proper’ current.

In the short term though, the lounge is only half decorated and the boss is giving me ‘The Look’.
PaulB liked this
By Lefty
Flintstone wrote:I wouldn’t mind getting back in to instructing but I’m not convinced that it would pay its own way, let alone make me any money.

In the past I’ve not done so because I didn’t feel comfortable taking hours from those instructors who needed them. Now there’s apparently a shortage but it has the risk of me running at a loss.

Flinty, it all depends what you want out of life, but I doubt you can expect to break even, let alone make a decent living.
Pretty much all the flying schools in the SE are short of instructors, so if you had the FI rating you are certain to find a job. The question is whether it is the kind of job you would enjoy.

The FI course will cost approx £8-9K
A full time FI is usually expected to work at least 40 hours per week, usually including either a Saturday or Sunday every week.
Not sure on FT salaries, (someone else can chime in on this) - but I believe they are in the £25-35K region.

Part time FI’s have the luxury of nominating when they want to work or not work. But they can expect to be paid in the region of £17-22 per flying hour. Some schools expect FI’s to do 1/2 hour preflight and 1/2 hour postflight (briefing, de-briefing and records, so that is 1 hour unpaid for every hour paid, others schedule 1/2 hour unpaid per paid hour. ( This is where the full time salaried FI starts to win out).
By Flintstone
Hi Lefty.

I should have been clearer. For now the instructing would be a fill in between the day job. I wouldn't expect to actually live off it on that basis but I don't want it to be an expense. I need to sit down and work out the number of hours that would see me break even.

It might also be a useful thing to have in my back pocket when I eventually retired. Instructing was my forst job in aviation, might be nice to finish off that way too.
By Lefty
Flintstone wrote:Hi Lefty.

I should have been clearer. For now the instructing would be a fill in between the day job. I wouldn't expect to actually live off it on that basis but I don't want it to be an expense. I need to sit down and work out the number of hours that would see me break even.

It might also be a useful thing to have in my back pocket when I eventually retired. Instructing was my forst job in aviation, might be nice to finish off that way too.

I’ve been instructing for 10 years now on a CRI. I really think this suits me better. I didn’t want to invest the time and money to do the full FI.
By squawking 7700
Did my CRI course at Leicester (I was the first to do that course there).
Highly recommend Leicester and CRI'ing for the variety - do some stuff for schools/clubs and individuals and get nominated for group check outs - there's enough to do if you've got a full time job.